Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electrical outlets

electrical outlets

I am planning to have some outlets replaced in my house (wife wants them to match new paint). How much do electrical techs charge. I plan to replace about 40 wall outlets.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Call a couple in the phone book. They should be able to tell you roughly what it would cost. Can't imagine it would be that much.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Just to replace may not be bad. Installing new was running $150 eachhere.
    It's not rocket science, but it is a science that requires some skill and common sence. A good book and a mentor could get you through
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

do it yourself.
    It's easy and cheeaper

If you hire a licensed electrician at scale it will cost you much more than you want to pay but if you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, pay the money and sleep nights knowing that it was done correctly and safely.
    It is not hard to do once you get the hang of it. There are many do it yourself sites on the Internet or visit your local library for the information you need.
    David B

Fairly straight forward and easy IF there is no rewiring required. Is there an existing ground wire that can be used?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Aurelio,

It really isn't that difficult or technical. You can buy a book at the local Borg that shows you how. As others have said, this is easy as long as you don't have to pull new wires....ie....you've got 3 wire installations not the old "2 wire" installations.

BUT as stated, if you aren't comfortable doing it, by all means hire an electrician.

One of the trailer houses I lived in while stationed in the Navy at NAS Meridian, MS burned to the ground about 12 months AFTER we moved into base housing. Cause of the fire ....elelctrical.....

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-02-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Question $150.00 :~0 that's insane

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Just to replace may not be bad. Installing new was running $150 eachhere.
    It's not rocket science, but it is a science that requires some skill and common séance. A good book and a mentor could get you through
    Tyler,
    You know , you don't mind paying for something if it's worth it - You turners spend all your time on your projects - they come out beautifully and you could see why you would charge what you do- justifiable~ it's art work!
    A $5.00 receptacle ( or a lot less) for a brand new, in the box ~ the installation 10 min or less, the charge for labor $145.00 - now that is highway robbery to me. I must be missing something here- "replace/New" aren't we talking about the same thing. It is so simple- black (hot)goes to the brass terminal, neutral to the silver terminal and ground to the green (Chassis) and mount it with the eye's on top and the mouth (ground port) below. What is the difference between "replacing/new" I am not sure what you mean ~ Thanks Tyler
    Happy Turning
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    What is the difference between "replacing/new" I am not sure what you mean ~ Thanks Tyler
    I believe by "new" he meant installing an outlet where there wasn't previously one, and by "replacing" he meant removing an existing outlet and installing a new one in its place.

I think his point was that it would cost a good bit of money to have an electrician install an outlet if it required running cables to put one where you didn't already have one, but that he thought it wouldn't be too expensive if you are just needing existing outlets replaced.

Cool Yea-

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Triggs View Post
    I believe by "new" he meant installing an outlet where there wasn't previously one, and by "replacing" he meant removing an existing outlet and installing a new one in its place.

I think his point was that it would cost a good bit of money to have an electrician install an outlet if it required running cables to put one where you didn't already have one, but that he thought it wouldn't be too expensive if you are just needing existing outlets replaced.
    Steve,
    thanks for adjusting my central nervous system - what was I thinking!
    my excuse- I didn't have my java yet-LOL - thanks buddy! yea- that could run that kind of money- I don't know what I was (not thinking) if that makes any sence! -LOL
    Happy turning

If you do do the work yourself, make sure you do it right. If your work leads to a fire, it could cost you your insurance coverage for non-licensed work . . . or the life of you and your family. You can tell I don't like doing electrical work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    snip It is so simple- black (hot)goes to the brass terminal, neutral to the silver terminal and ground to the green (Chassis) and mount it with the eye's on top and the mouth (ground port) below. snip

Brian, I always mount mine the same way. But most electricians mount it the other way. Why? If it is pulled away from the wall, the hot and neutral are where a tool could drop on them and short out the wiring if hot. Yes, the circuit should be turned off when working on it. If turned the other way, the tool hits ground and slides off. A safety feature. I still do mine the other way, because I like the visual that looks like when I see the receptacle. It tells me to be careful. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim,
    Not sure what site the topic was on but many pages of dialog were generated when the issue of which way up the receptacle is mounted. I am like you, I like the way they look with the ground pin on the bottom.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    do it yourself.
    It's easy and cheeaper
    I agree. I did all of mine years ago (for the same reason) and it was not difficult at all. Just make sure each circuit is off – I used a portable radio - and change them out wire for wire.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Brian, I always mount mine the same way. But most electricians mount it the other way. Why? If it is pulled away from the wall, the hot and neutral are where a tool could drop on them and short out the wiring if hot. Yes, the circuit should be turned off when working on it. If turned the other way, the tool hits ground and slides off. A safety feature. I still do mine the other way, because I like the visual that looks like when I see the receptacle. It tells me to be careful. Jim.
    I've never seen an electrician mount them with the ground up, both in residential and commercial work...but I do understand the reason why some might.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...