Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling my hair out (Vac Chuck)

Pulling my hair out (Vac Chuck)

Does anyone have a solution for pulling a vacuum through the headstock that uses something thinner than a 3/8" threaded lamp rod?

I have a Palmgren lathe, and there seems to be a junction somewhere along the line that's too narrow for anything north of 1/4" OD. MAYBE 5/16" OD would fit through. I've already suggested buying a new lathe, but LOML isn't signing up for it yet!

I've tried to come up with a solution using 1/4 OD flexible copper or 1/4" OD polyvinyl tubing, but I can't figure out a way that'll work..

Alex,

There is a vacuum setup for the lathe that is on the market that is specifically designed for even a lathe that doesn't have a hole through the headstock. The design of the VacuumMaster is such that you don't need anything going through the headstock of the lathe at all.

You can see this setup here.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

$$$

I looked at that, Dennis, but it's a very expensive solution I'd rather not have to resort to!

You can try making your own coupling and sealing off at your handwheel. So basically you wont have a tube going through your spindle you would use your spindle as you tube.
    Mike Vickery

No reason you couldn't pull a vacuum through a 1/4" od pipe. If you have a 3/8" setup already, maybe you can adapt it to 1/4".

Vacuum setup

Here is a nice article on setup up a system.
    http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips...uum-chucks.pdf
    Dale L Hoover
    Live Life & Enjoy your health

1/4"

I'm currently trying to come up with a way to adapt it to 1/4". The problem is there's no 1/4" OD threaded pipe, so that means flexible copper and compression fittings. The problem with that is finding a way to secure the copper pipe with compression fittings so it's tight against both sides of the headstock and the spinner can do it's job.

I haven't given up. The wheels are still turning (pun intended)..

Alex

Maybe

Coming from one of the world's worst DIY ers this is tenuous at best. But you could use a tap and die set and tap a 1/4 " thread. If you don't have a set, perhaps you could borrow one or simply buy the die. It shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Good luck, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Alex,

Sorry, didn't know if you had a "budget" or what. I'll keep digging around to see what I can find or figure out for ya.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Alex,

Sorry, didn't know if you had a "budget" or what. I'll keep digging around to see what I can find or figure out for ya.
    No apologies necessary -- I didn't specify what I was looking for very well!

I say convince the wife a new lathe is absolutely necessary for the survival of the planet. The world is being overpopulated by trees and you have to help control them on log at a time!

Who knows maybe she's gullible!!!! Just don't let her watch the Al Gore video!!!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

There's always Jam chucking if it's too small.

Alex, 1/4" o.d tubing is available in several metal choices and wall thicknesses from Mcmaster-Carr. The choices are many, and you can find what you need on their website. I would use brass or copper ridgid 1/4" o.d. tubing, and capture it in the headstock by cutting threads on the pipe and using a jam nut configuration. You could then adapt the pipe to whatever you need via the use of fittings. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. My neighborhood kids taught me that, among other things.

Hear is a link to a guy I know. He will have just what your are looking for. His tubing (pipe) is rated for high pressure steam. All kinds of fittings also. Pipe thread. check it out.

http://www.theengineshop.net/
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 08-30-2007 at 8:23 PM.

Bump.

Alex, did this fella help you out?