Thread: Wiring a 220 switch

Wiring a 220 switch

I am in the middle of shop reorg right now. Part of it is getting ready for my vacuum pump (should show up on Tuesday).

My question is I was at Lowes the other day picking up some wiring stuff and could not find a switch that is meant to be used on 220 (two hots) to hook to the vacuum pump ( Gast 220 model).

I did do some online research and it seemed to me a double pole single throw (DPST) switch is what I need. Am I right? Should it be at the Borg and I am just missing it, or will I have to order it and where is a good place?

Any help is appreciated.
    Mike Vickery

220 Volt Remote Control Power Switch

Item Code: HT-001707 | 1 of 3 Items in Power Tool Switches
    Click image to enlarge.

This is $50.00 http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001707.html Pretty cool if you ask me ,or you can get a standard magnetic switch- it' up to you.
    Have a great weekend!
    Brian

You are looking for the right item, but be sure to know what kind of electrical panel you have before you but the breaker because (in my experience) they are almost never interchangeable. The home centers carry most of the big name brand parts, but you might be better off to visiting an electrical supply house. Again, be sure to know the brand name, model number, and max AMP rating of the electrical panel that you are adding the 220 breaker to. You might even want to write down the part number and specifications that are on the little sticker on the 110 breakers just so they can cross reference them should you have a discontinued or odd-ball brand panel.

Thumbs up Panel- or switch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vickery View Post
    I am in the middle of shop reorg right now. Part of it is getting ready for my vacuum pump (should show up on Tuesday).

My question is I was at Lowes the other day picking up some wiring stuff and could not find a switch that is meant to be used on 220 (two hots) to hook to the vacuum pump ( Gast 220 model).

I did do some online research and it seemed to me a double pole single throw (DPST) switch is what I need. Am I right? Should it be at the Borg and I am just missing it, or will I have to order it and where is a good place?

Any help is appreciated.
    Mike- Gene is correct- I wasn't sure what you were after- if it is in your shops electrical panel box then yes SPDT 220V switch- Like Gene said - verify the amperage you will need.

Mike.........I work with electricity and electronics daily. Here's my take on it.

Most of the vacumn pumps I work with have an ON/OFF switch on them. If you want to install a switch, then a DPST is what you want. You want to disconnect both hot leads when you throw the switch.

An alternative I'd suggest. IF the pump has a built in switch, wire a plug on the cord for the pump and install an appropriate outlet on the wall. If you decide to work on it, throw the breaker for that outlet, remove the plug from the wall outlet, work at will. With the pump's plug removed from the wall outlet, there's never a chance you can get shocked!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I already have a 220 line running and breaker in my sub panel. I am just having trouble finding an on\off switch that works for 220 power.
    Brian you remote power switch is pretty cool. But the switch will be on the wall right next to my lathe, I would just end up loseing the remotes.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vickery View Post
    I already have a 220 line running and breaker in my sub panel. I am just having trouble finding an on\off switch that works for 220 power.
    Brian you remote power switch is pretty cool. But the switch will be on the wall right next to my lathe, I would just end up loseing the remotes.

I wasn't sure what you were after mike- Ken's the man!
    Have a great weekend-
    Brian

Mike, let me dig through my stuff and find the paperwork. I have exactly what you are talking about but not mounted on the wall. and I got mine at Lowes or Home Depot.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Mike,

I had the same issues when hooking mine up. The Borg stores had some of the 220 items, but not the switch. I did find the switch at a local Ace hardware. To save time driving all over town an electrical supply house is your best bet.

Mike -

How much current does this unit draw...what size breaker are you using?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Conte View Post
    Mike -

How much current does this unit draw...what size breaker are you using?

Fred
    The vacuum pump only draws 2 or 3 amps. However I am hooking it up to the same line as my lathe runs on 16 amp draw. It is a 20 amp 220 circuit.

I went to another store and talked to a guy and bought the double pole switch. Actually I got to I want to wire one to the begining of the circuit to cut power to all the 220 when I leave the shop. And one that I will wire in to the pump.
    Mike Vickery