Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Bit Storage

Router Bit Storage

I am curious about what you folks do for router bit storage. I am designing a router stand and could use some comments to help decide whether to a) drill 1/4 and 1/2 dia holes in a block and stick the bits in some order in the block, or rather b) continue to keep the bits in the plastic bags they come in and store in several plastic compartmented boxes (like tackle boxes). I suppose it is up to one's choice but are there any negatives to having the bits "out in the air" so to speak?

Would appreciate hearing about your approach and any suggestions.

Thanks.

Ken, I had a piece of Corian type material that I drilled holes in and inserted the bits into it. I put it all into a drawer in my tool cabinet for now till I build a router table with drawers. I don't like carbide touching anything when storeing because it's so hard it's brittle.

I keep mine in 1/4 and 1/2" holes drilled in a block of wood and store in a drawer. Seems to work fine.

Here's my cabinet; Plans from "WOOD".
    Router Bit Storage 001 (Small).jpg
    22" X 26" X 6" deep, hangs on the wall with french cleats.
    Router Bit Storage 003 (Small).jpg
    And it's too small already!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I use these from Lee Valley. Not fancy but they work great.

The sky's the limit... I tend to keep my sets in the original boxres. The loose bits are in a shallow drawer. To save some height, the bits are set at an angle in a block of wood...a few rows of them holds alot of bits. If you drill material to hold your bits, I'd suggest making them slightly over the aim size...especially if you use wood.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I bought a deep rubbermaid container, cut a piece of wood to fit it and drilled holes in it. Only have a dozen or so bits so they are all in one place. I like the showcase that Mack posted above. He's got a better selection then Home Depot!

Smile Router Bit Storage

Two strategies worked for me. With about 100 bits, I couldn't keep them in original containers, or just rattling around in a drawer because of the danger of damaging the carbide edges, and for organization.

1) I got a used, beat up plexiglass display case from my tool dealer. That goes up on the wall. Great for organization, and for visibility. You can buy these for about $40 from Woodcraft new.

2) Highland Hardware sells a beautifully made hardwood case with a lid and capacity for 25 half inch bits and 25 quarter inchers. This takes wide diameter cutters and keeps them save. Although they are hidden from site. Cost is $29.

Bits that are out in the open will accumulate a lot of sawdust. And you need to prevent corrosion, so a lid or plexiglass door help.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    Here's my cabinet; Plans from "WOOD".
    Router Bit Storage 001 (Small).jpg
    22" X 26" X 6" deep, hangs on the wall with french cleats.
    Router Bit Storage 003 (Small).jpg
    And it's too small already!
    Was that in the Magazine or did you find the plans online? Can you advise source?

Thanks!

Exactly. Don't drill half inch holes. Make them 17/32 or 33/64. You'll be glad you did...

Don't ask me how I know...

Thanks,

Bill

I had them in drawers in my previous router table (with inserts containing holes the same diameter as the shanks to hold the cutters), but need to build a cabinet for them since I changed my setup not long ago. It may very well be a dedicated drawer in the tool cabinet I'm soon to make.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very low (no) tech. I just keep them in the plastic envelopes or little cases they were purchased in. Not super elegant but each one is labeled and they're protected from dust or corrosion. I think 95% of mine are confined to two 2" high drawers in the cabinet under my router table.
    Use the fence Luke

I use a cabinet my grandfather built with some MDF shelves replacing the wooden cream cheese boxes he used in them. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=storage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stevens View Post
    I am curious about what you folks do for router bit storage. I am designing a router stand and could use some comments to help decide whether to a) drill 1/4 and 1/2 dia holes in a block and stick the bits in some order in the block, or rather b) continue to keep the bits in the plastic bags they come in and store in several plastic compartmented boxes (like tackle boxes)...
    Ken,

I have them right in the drawers of the router table, and have never had any problems with storage in the shop (air-conditioned during summer months, and heated in winter). The bit-holding holes are drilled to the proper shaft diameter plus 1/32".

The middle drawer is dedicated to 1/4-inch shaft bits (as you can see, only a few of these); the top drawer contains 1/2-inch shaft general-use bits, while the bottom drawer contains only 1/2-inch shaft cabinet making bits. The bit drawers on the right-hand side are set up the same way.

Al

Blog Entries
    I keep mine in the plastic Plano boxes you see on each side of the router table door here. The compartments are adjustable for when things change. The plastic won't hurt the carbide and I can keep compartments for bearings, sleeves, bearing wrenches, etc. I also like that I don't have to grab them by the 'sharp parts'. When I run out of room, I add another one for about $3 at Lowe's.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler