Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routers: Milwaukee 5616-24 opinions and Bosch 1617 rant

Routers: Milwaukee 5616-24 opinions and Bosch 1617 rant

I have a Bosch 1617, and liked it...til the magnesium corroded. Bosch will replace the motor, but not the bases. New bases - $122 for plung, $55 for fixed...almost the price of a new kit. A very imformative person from Rockler told me that this a 'common problem' which happens in the south, which they solved by using Aluminum motor casings. Well the bases are still mangnesium and it'll still corrode. So a) I'm not getting another Bosch 'magnesium' and b) I'm not real happy w/ Bosch right now... If you live in the south do NOT get a bosch 1617....

SO, the question is what's a good replacement. I used this router as the combo kit a lot, but also bought an extra fixed base for router table. Was looking at the Porter Cable 895 (since I love my very old and heavily used 690) but reviews and recommendations for the 895 aren't so good. From what I've seen people (and reviews) of the Milwaukee 5616 seem to be pretty good. But not too many posts on it from the threads. Lots on the 5625 - which people love...

What about the 5616-24 (Combo kit) peoples/owners opinions of this?? A good replacement?? I'd especially like to hear how you like the plung base. Or other recommendations?

Thanks,

Perry

Tough luck with the Bosch Perry....too bad they wouldn't cut you a reasonable deal for replacement parts.

I've owned two Milwaukee routers and really like both....extremely well built. I like the MW5625 for it's power, above table height adj, construction, and wide mouth, and I loved the BodyGrip feature of the smaller MW5615...that was also very stout for it's amp rating. I wouldn't hesitate at all to get the 5616 kit, but I've never toyed with the plunger.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-03-2007 at 6:50 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Magnesium corrosion

I have a couple of Bosch 1617s that I use for my dovetail jig..both are many years old now with magnesium tops and bases....I live in the north (Wisconsin) and haven't had any corrosion problems...I'm interested in seeing some pictures of the corrosion if you could post them...is it sea air related or humidity related or??????

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Schmidt View Post
    I have a Bosch 1617, and liked it...til the magnesium corroded. Bosch will replace the motor, but not the bases. New bases - $122 for plung, $55 for fixed...almost the price of a new kit. A very imformative person from Rockler told me that this a 'common problem' which happens in the south, which they solved by using Aluminum motor casings. Well the bases are still mangnesium and it'll still corrode. So a) I'm not getting another Bosch 'magnesium' and b) I'm not real happy w/ Bosch right now... If you live in the south do NOT get a bosch 1617....

SO, the question is what's a good replacement. I used this router as the combo kit a lot, but also bought an extra fixed base for router table. Was looking at the Porter Cable 895 (since I love my very old and heavily used 690) but reviews and recommendations for the 895 aren't so good. From what I've seen people (and reviews) of the Milwaukee 5616 seem to be pretty good. But not too many posts on it from the threads. Lots on the 5625 - which people love...

What about the 5616-24 (Combo kit) peoples/owners opinions of this?? A good replacement?? I'd especially like to hear how you like the plung base. Or other recommendations?

Thanks,

Perry

I wouldn't give up on Bosch. I read someplace that only "some" of the 1617's had the corrosion problems.

I have the 1617EVSK (fixed & plunge base combo) and have been quite happy with it. No corrosion problems at all.

That said, if I were to buy a dedicated plunge router, I'd probably go with the DeWalt 621 -- have read many a great review and it's been around for about 20 years so I'm sure the "bugs" have been worked out by now.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Schmidt View Post

Thanks,

Perry

Sorry if this is a hijack, but could the corrosion be reduced with periodic application of maybe spray silicone, boeshield, WD, Kroil, or something else? Is it due to dissimilar metals in contact (galvanic corrosion) or environmental?
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

You probably haven't seen too much on the 5625 because it's relatively new to market. It was a LONG time coming, though.

I've had a 5615 for a few years now and agonized over not having a plunge base for it. I was elated when Milwaukee finally came out with one. It's really a solid performing plunge base, for sure. I couldn't criticize a thing about it. It even incorporates the microadjustment features of the motor for depth stop adjustment. Above the table height adjustment in the fixed base and just a plain solid router makes it my router of choice, for sure
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Routers

My Milwaukee 5616 is nearly new and came only with the fixed base. It is being mounted in a top on the extension of my Tablesaw. It appealed to me because it is robust, and primarily because it sidestepped the need for a router lift since bit height can be adjusted from above the table.

Though it is ergonomically pleasant, and beefy, if I were to buy another router it would be the Festool. Primarily because theirs is part of a system. The guiderail makes it a formidable tool. Pricey, but these little Waring Blenders end up being lifetime tools that we must live with.

Gary Curtis

Blog Entries
    This is kinda spooky. I have the same routers Scott S. has and we have the same TS as well(?). I love both my Mil's. They both have an overall feel of precision that I don't find in others I have tried. The 6516-24 reviews like a member of the family. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.

P.s. I also love my Bosch tools but have heard about the unfortunate corrosion problem on specific housings.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Perry,
    I too live in the South and I also bought a Bosch w / Mag bases. I was advised to wax to avoid the possibility of corrosion.{would not have bought if I knew before hand}However corrosion still persisted and I was able to sell it. Mistake Number 2 was a P-C(piece o'crap) 2 hours later and stopped completely. Returned immediatly. Urgent but cautious I went to Woodcraft and got the DeWalt 618, 3 base. Have done 4 kitchen cab installs and have no problems. In fact the features are better than the 2 previous,and i like the D-handle more all the time(control)Not trying to knock all Bosch or P-C, I do own tools of both and they are no problems. Am I happy with the DW? Oh Yeah.l
    Larry

Thanks for the replies.

re: questions on corrosion. I talked to a very knowledgable Rockler person and he indicated that up north - even on the coast - the magnesium doesn't have an issue. Only down south. No idea what's different down here. I'd say humidity, but there's humid states up north (during the summer) and they
    don't seem to have the corrosion issue. I'll take some pictures and post them...

I guess they now use an aluminum cased motor which has supposedly fixed the problem, but my bases corroded too, which they said was unsusual. I'm hoping to get the motor fixed, and if they won't replace the bases I'm going to try to clean them up and use something like lithium grease or wax or something to protect them and get it to work better. We'll see if I have any luck.

When I looked at a Bosch yesterday at the store, the motor casing is different, but the bases are still magnesium.

Anyway, thanks for the Milwaukee updates. Sounds like it's a well liked product. If the plung works as well as the rest, should be good. I did find a review in Popular Woodworking:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...TER%20TEST.pdf

They spoke pretty well of the Milwaukee.

Thanks.

Perry

Larry, Dewalt and PC are the same company, Black and Decker. I agree with your definition of PC, will never buy another of their products, Dewalt either.

As for my Bosch 1617, it has done OK here in Houston. It's not shiny like it was when new, but still fits in the bases OK. I use cornstarch to "lube" it occasionally. However, my next router will be a Milwaukee. I've had other issues with Bosch, like the base plates not aligning properly on the bases, after market stuff never fitting, etc.

Here's pictures of the router.

The motor you can see the corrosion. It doesn't look bad, but it's bad enough it makes it almost impossible to get in and out of the base. The fixed base isn't bad, but there's a couple spots that have corroded. The picture I boxed the adjustment nut - it's corroded badly. The thing with the fixed base is I have never used it. I always use my PC690 when using a fixed base.

The plunge base is really bad. It corroded badly a few years ago and I cleaned it up w/ steal wool and coated it with...something (don't remember exactly) to keep it from corroding. Well, 2 years later, it's like this. It's impossible to use. There's surface corrosion everywhere, and a few spots where it's a nice white oxidation which is a good 1/32 inch thick. I'd like to use it, but just don't know how to clean it and keep it clean. I'm still hoping that I can get Bosch to 'do the right thing' and replace the base too. If they don't I plan on taking it w/ me to the woodworking show in Dallas area in December. That might get some action if I talk to the right people.

Anyway, hope the pictures help.

Perry
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe Atlanta is the "south" and I have had the corrosion problems with our high humidity, or at least I assume it is a high humidity problem I just keep it waxed and keep going as it is an excellent little router otherwise. My barrel grip Bosch jig-saw would have to be pryed from my dead hands!

I have a large Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP mounted in the table that stays there. A well made router with a "hoss" motor that doesn't know what the term "quitin' time" means.

I have a DW 621 plunge with a Pat Warner base and this is one of the smoothest plunges I have experienced. Never did like the feel of the Elu disign on the router, but the base-plate by Pat Warner changed my mine. An excellent addition to a good plunger and not bad dust control. Have a DW 788 scroll saw and a re-ciprocating DW that are excellent. Have had several DW drills that were a waste of my money.

I have a Craftsman collar locking fixed base from 1974. Sits on the shelf with a laminate trim bit in it and gets the call on edge work on laminate. At $79 a steal as it was my main squeeze for years before the current trend of newbies came on the scene.

So.. what I have discovered over 35 years is all companies that manufacture tools have "their hits and their misses". It's up to you to do your homework in advance to determine what "hits" and what "misses".

Sarge..

Rich,

About a year ago I started a thread on the most corroded router. Not the kind of prize you want to win! I have had Bosch repair the router previous to the picture, but it apparently didn't work. I cleaned up the router & sprayed it with T-9, seems to work pretty good, but will corrodes some, but the router still works! And BTW I do not live in the south. I would not hesitate to get another Bosch router, as they have resolved the issue since this router was produced.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43692
    Last edited by David LaRue; 09-04-2007 at 8:13 AM. Reason: Added link to other thread

I bought my 1617 very early on and had corrosion issues. I sent it back late last year and they put a new case on the motor. My bases looked similar to yours in the picture, but some quick work with some steel wool and wax they haven't been a problem.
    When I used to sand and wax the motor, it would last just a few weeks then corrode again. The bases have lasted a year now with no additional maintenance. It still takes some extra effort to get the motor out of the plunge base, but not too bad. In use, it now feels like it did when new and has replaced the router I bought to replace it. Bosch is back on my good list again . All was done for the cost of me shipping the router body to them.
    Jay St. Peter