Thread: Barracuda 2 chuck help

Question Barracuda 2 chuck help

I have the Barracuda 2 chuck & the hex head machine screws that hold the jaws are starting to round out the hex head. I can't find any around here also I want to get some longer ones to use for bigger hold downs on my flat jaws.

Can anyone tell me what size hex head screws are
    also the size of the button screws

Chuck

I'm not familiar with that particular chuck. But if it has hex socket screws like my Griz, just a small amount of dust in the socket prevents full purchase of the driver, and the sockets become rounded in short order. I replaced all mine with Phillips-head countersunk machine screws, and haven't looked back. Ace Hardware often has a quite complete collection of small-to-medium size fasteners, both Imperial and metric, some left-hand, etc. Local option with each franchisee, so YMMV. Take one of each of the screws you wish to match, and the staff should be able to help. A bulk packager like Fastenal won't sell small quantities, but they could advise you of such an alternate source.

Joe

Had the same problem

First, square up the end of your hex key from time to time. It wears just like the screw heads.

The screws in the chuck have a machined edge on the head that allows them to be countersunk. Take one of the screws to a good fastener shop and have them match. You will pay a little extra for the special screws.

Or, do what I did, which is to buy a standard hex head machine screw. They dont fit perfectly flush but work just fine. Bought a 100 for $14. My box is marked M5 0.8X12

Best,
    Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA