Thread: Formica Resurface

Formica Resurface

I may have a fairly big job to resurface existing Formic counters. I haven't seen the tops yet, but I am trying to prepare myself to analyze the work involved.

Can this sort of thing be done in place? Remove the old Formica? If the tops should be removed, should I assume that I will have to do any "wall repair" such as painting caulking and God forbid, wall papering?

Just for haws, let's consider an 8 foot long top about 24" deep, mounted to a cabinet structure. It will probably have a 4" back splash. I will remove the top for resurfacing. About how long would you guess it would take to remove one, baring any unforeseen, complicated obstacles?

Maybe it would be more cost effective for the customer, to use the old ones as templates and build new ones. Suggestions?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

If the existing laminate is sound, you don't need to remove it. Just make sure it is absolutely clean and grease-free and scuff it up for a good bonding surface. Apply the new laminate over it. You may find it easier to do the back-splash separately, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built new ones for our kitchen, as with most, you will find the wood warped and rotted around the sink area. I used 2 sheets of particle board (that's what the original's were made of) laminated together, then a formica top. I has just under $100 in the whole project. Good luck.

A 50 grit sanding should scuff them up enough for glueing the new "laminate" on top.

Just food for thought. When putting laminate onto laminate there is potential for it to blister and or delaminate easier than a standard installation especially if a hot object is placed onto it. Heat can soften the adhesive and cause eventual failure due to the lack of a good heat sink. I can't say how often this happens, just FWIW.

Make sure the new laminate is acclimated - about 24 hours so there is no expansion/contraction while the adhesive is setting.

Do not use water based adhesive - don't know why, it's just what the manufacturers recommends for this application.

Also, use miniblind slats or similar as stickers when adhering the new laminate - they work great.

I put down a 1/4" layer of MDF onto my counter - glued and screwed, then the laminate. Just wanted to make sure everything is tight and well adhered. It's been eleven years without a problem.

Good luck, Wes