Thread: turning tools: Robert Sorby or Crown PM

turning tools: Robert Sorby or Crown PM

Hi:

I have some powder metal turning tools made by Crown and the regular Robert Sorby turning tools and I noticed a big differance in the grind on the Crown turning tools verses the Robert Sorby turning tools. The Sorby gouge is VERY hard to control and bounces around the wood and almost seems like it wants to take right off. The Crown gouge, on the other hand, is much easier to control and does not have the tendency to bounce around on the wood. The only other thing I see different is that the powder metal gouge has a much shallower flute down the center of the gouge. Can the Sorby gouge be reground to match the grind of the Crown gouge? Would that make a difference in the handeling of the turning tool?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, don't ever trust the "grind" that comes from the factory--they are rarely "right". It only takes a slight angle difference to cause problems like you describe. You can re-grind the Sorby to what works best for you. (My Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge is now ground the same, relatively speaking, as my Ellsworth signature gouge and works in a very similar manner) Slight differences in the flute will not make much difference, but if there is a radical difference, you may need ot experiment a little to find the right grind for the particular tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One thing a tool that bounces or gets hard to handle can indicate is that it need sharpening.
    I had similar problems with my Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge until I got the Tormek sharpener. I went with the factory angle but put the edge on it using the Tormek jig. Now my Sorby gouge is a dream to use.
    Lots of people "refine" the grinding anlges to fit their style but a very sharp edge remains a principle factor in how the tool handles when put to wood.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"