Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Vouch for Whiteside Router Bits?

Can You Vouch for Whiteside Router Bits?

I have read the FWW article testing router bits and its reco that Whiteside was the best (given the test conditions, etc). Can you comment from personal experience that these are good bits?

Yes, it depends on the task...I am a beginner but wanting to get into somewhat simple children's furniture (gifts not mfg - ). I have some Rockler bits now but as I expand, it seems like going in the Whiteside direction is wise.

The Woodworkdersworld.net router store seems to have pretty good prices compared with the limited other sources I have found. Is this a good place to buy them?

Thanks for your comments.
    Ken

Ken,

I've been using Whiteside bits for several years on different types of wood, and they have always done a good job for me. Good, smooth cuts and seem to last as well as any CMT or Amana I've ever had.

I can absolutely vouch for Whiteside bits. Without a doubt. I can't say a single bad thing about 'em. The only time I've had an unexpected result with my whiteside bits is when i did something stupid like ... oh ... smack into aluminum with it ... or worse, nails! :doh:

I haven't found a single task that a whiteside bit couldn't tackle if properly used (multiple shallow passes, proper feed direction, keeping the metal away, etc).
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Woodpeckers sells them also.

I'd guess my collection is up to 50-60 total bits now, and the Whitesides are arguably the finest I own....Infinity, Freud, and CMT are awfully good too. The Whitesides are American made, widely recognized, available many places, thick carbide, etc. Really nice bits....

A member here by the name of Brian Gumpper owns Holbren.com and has great prices on Whiteside....not to mention freer shipping and he's a great guy to deal with. Use "SMC10" in the discount code to get your SMC member 10% discount on top of his already great deals.

Also, his "Holbren" brand house bits are a good value for bits that see less mileage.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

What Scott said

Whiteside bits from Holbren is where I look first. Holbren doesn't stock the entire line but has quickly filled special orders at a fair price.

Infinity bits are my second choice.

My woodworking mentor, and personal friend, is a strong believer in Whiteside bits, feeling that they are the best available for the money. I haven't used them enough yet to have formed a strong personal experience based opinion. However, he has made lots of showroom quality furniture, so I can't argue with his view.

The best pricing I've been able to find is from http://www.hartvilletool.com. They have what appears to already be on the low end of pricing on Whiteside bits, but then if you mention the WoodNet forums in the shipping instructions box and they will apply a 20% discount and free shipping (if over $75 order) to the Whiteside bits. Note that the discount won't show online but will be applied when the process the order. From what I've seen, their prices including the discount blow away every other source I've found.

LOVE Whiteside bits! I have about 10 profiles and absolutely love the performance.

As noted, Holbren offers good prices and excellent service. Hartville is a great company and has the best prices on larger orders in my experience.

Whiteside is an excellant bit. Another line that is also excellant, in Whitesides backyard, and owned by an ex-employee of Whiteside is Southeast Tool. As a matter of fact, the majority of their part #'s are identical.

www.southeasttool.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Whiteside bits from Holbren is where I look first. Holbren doesn't stock the entire line but has quickly filled special orders at a fair price.
    QFT

I called Brian one time to order some bits. He was driving when he took the call. He pulled off the side of the road and took my order. That is one awesome member we have working with us. I go to him whenever I need products he sells - I know he truely cares about helping us get the products we need. He has also met or beat any price on Whiteside bits I could find. He is also the main guy for me for Byrd products, Two Cherries chisels, and Norton waterstones.

Whiteside bits have worked wonderful for me. I have a set I use with my PC DT jig.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-06-2007 at 8:20 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    My first choice with Freud a close second. Whitesides seem to hold their edge longer than others. I thought Holbren had free shipping on these but their website seems to be down right now so I can't confirm.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Whiteside bits a good bits. I've also never had a complaint with any of the router bits I purchased from Woodcraft during their $5 router bit sales.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I thought Holbren had free shipping on these but their website seems to be down right now so I can't confirm.
    I run a dedicated server and the host turned it off for some reason. Can't get in touch with anyone until tomorrow.

Shipping is free. Standard discount is 10% for creekers with free shipping. If anyone gives you a better deal, I'll match it with no problem.

The Whitesides that I have are very good but I don’t think they are any better than Freud bits.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I will say that Freuds selection compared to others is vast. They have recently come out with a full line of Solid Surface bits that are geared to compete against Velepec.