Thread: Grizzly 16" Band Saw Model 1538

Grizzly 16" Band Saw Model 1538

Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly 16" Bandsaw Model 1538, originally offered for sale by Grizzly in the early 90's? I would like to know if it has a reputation for being a good saw, as one is for sale in my area. I can check it out in person, but would value your comments if you are familiar with this model. Thanks.

No, but welcome to the forums! I saw your thread, and thought, HEY! Someone finally responded to my new Grizzly bandsaw feedback post! Alas, wrong name, wrong saw, wrong thread...

I don't have one

Quote Originally Posted by John McArthur View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly 16" Bandsaw Model 1538, originally offered for sale by Grizzly in the early 90's? I would like to know if it has a reputation for being a good saw, as one is for sale in my area. I can check it out in person, but would value your comments if you are familiar with this model. Thanks.
    but Grizzly stuff from that time frame had a reputation as a "kit", in other words needed quite a bit of tuning in order to work properly. I had a Grizzly band saw from the early '90's I and got it to work okay after replacing the guides, putting a bigger motor on it, tuning the wheel tracking etc. If You have more mechanical ability than cash, it might be worth a look.

HTH

Curt

Their new saws are great - I've owned both the 513x and the 514x - but the old ones are marginal. I strongly recommend the 513x2 for the money.

I believe Curt hit the nail on the head. Most imports in the 1980s and early 1990s were functional but always needed some tune-up or modification to address quality issues common of this era. This equipment was considered a 'value' when compared to the cost of American made offerings by General, Powermatic and Delta. Early Taiwanese machines were usually 1/2 to 1/3 in cost.

When I set up my shop in the mid 1980s, most of my equipment was from import retailers including Grizzly. The equipment is still running today.

If the price is right, you're probably going to be happy. But don't expect the quality and functionality in this bandsaw to be of the same caliber to what is offered by today's retailers. For example, you may have to adjust the guides when moving the guide post up and down, the table tilt may be a little finicky, or the fence may be a little difficult to set accurately.

Please keep in mind that my comments are generic. I have no actual experience with the bandsaw you're considering.

Good luck!

-Jeff

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It sounds like the new offerings from Grizzly are well-made and dependable—good to know.

grizzly 1538 Band saw

I've Had the 1538 for over 15 years and it worked O.K. But I didn't resaw with it until recently. I pu on a new3/4 blade and resawed a few pieces. Then the arm which tilts the upper wheel when tracking broke broke.Now I need that arm or the whole upper wheel hinge assembly. I can't find the parts and Grizzly doesn't have or make them anymore.
    If anyone knows where I can get these parts, it would be appreciated.Its made out of some sort of whitemetal so I don't think it can be welded. I can't afford a new bandsaw now and I'm into a couple of projects.....Bill