Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Critique Requested" Rustic Lidded Box (new pics)

Interesting idea Chris! Been thinking about this one for a few hours now and this is what I came up with.

Like everyone else - I like the shape, color and finish of the box. I agree with Gordon in that the use of a finial in a rustic piece seems to be a conflict in styles and probably the main reason why so many here are having problems with the finial (shape, color, texture, etc). The stark contrast between the white finial and the darker color of the wood draws all the attention to the finial. Thats OK if that is your intention. If not - may I suggest using the same color somewhere else on the box - like the second ring down from the top. Just a little something to tie the two elements together.

Last suggestion - shorten the post that secures the box to the base. Lowering the box would give the piece more of a flowing form and feel a little less segmented.

Like I said in the beginning - interesting concept! I look forward to see where you take this!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Thats OK if that is your intention. If not - may I suggest using the same color somewhere else on the box - like the second ring down from the top. Just a little something to tie the two elements together.
    Nice idea Steve, I think that might help alot.
    Mike

Guys, this has been very helpful and I really appreciate it. Thanks for being honest with me about this,
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Very nice work. I think that the finial is way too heavy, however...it looks "applied" rather than being part of the piece overall. I also agree that the lid is a little out of character with the body of the vessel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smile

I really like the concept and the box, the finial could be slimmer but looks good as is. You might consider shortening the box just above the log. The wood and finish is beautiful.

Very nice box and lid. but the final ...ahhhh ...not so much on this piece Christopher. It would be at home on a hilt for a large carving knife or fork / or stroping steel for a carving set .
    John 3:16

OK thanks, I have a Live Oak lidded box coming up that I may try to incorporate some of these thoughts on. Again thanks for the help.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning