Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different Dust Collection for router cabinet....

Different Dust Collection for router cabinet....

I am replacing my Bosch router table with a new table and I have built the base for the table. The cabinet will have drawers and doors on it when I am finished and I hope it will look nice.
    See Jessem gloat.. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64822

The old Bosch had a DC port in the back lower area of the cabinet, this work very well because all the chips and dust go under the table when the fence port could not get them.
    The problem is that all the dust just fills the router, I think this is why I had to get a new switch form Bosch because of all the dust that was in it.
    I looked at a lot of different cabinets and most if not all I looked at had a DC port in the box under the router, this would have given me the same problem.
    So I came up with this mod to the cabinet, its not a really high tech thing but I think it will work very well and I will not have the problem of all the dust in the router.
    I made an enclosed port that the router lift and motor go though and there is enough clearance around it to let me raise and lower the router. The clean air will come in around the router and the chips and dust will be pulled down from the top, both with exit the DC hose in the back. This should as keep the lift from getting all the dust in the lift screw.
    I just used all the scrap I had left from making the cabinet and I also have some dry ease board left form my easel project that I think I will cover the inside of the port with to help with the movement of the dust.

You can see the port is not going down into the main cabinet but about 3 1/2 inches, and pleas don't ask why it is not centered.

P9091773.jpg

With the table on you can see where the dust port is setting.
    P9091775.jpg

With out the table on you can see how the clean air will be pulled up around the lift and the motor.
    P9091771.jpg

Just looking from under the table.
    P9091769.jpg

Blog Entries
    I like it. I can see this really reducing the dust in the air that the router sucks in if it sucks from the "top". Will there also be an exit port below the plate for the stuff that gets by?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thumbs up Nice!!!

Yes,
    That will definitly create more draw - I am definitly thinking of doing the same thing-great idea!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I like it. I can see this really reducing the dust in the air that the router sucks in if it sucks from the "top". Will there also be an exit port below the plate for the stuff that gets by?
    Out put is between the router plate and the floor of the port, so there should be nothing that gets though if the DC is turned on, in my case it is the shop vac.

Does this show it better?

router box.jpg

Interesting. It will be great for you to revisit this after using it for awhile to let us know how it works out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Interesting. It will be great for you to revisit this after using it for awhile to let us know how it works out.

Jim, I did some testing this afternoon, I cut 1/4 rounds on some scrap MDF. Then I cut them off and cut more 1/4 rounds and so on.

At this point I would say it works very well, there was no dust on the router and very little and I mean very little on the frame of the lift.

I guess time will really tell just how well it works.

Bill,
    Please do keep us informed. My understanding is that dust wants to go in three directions usually depending on the bit. First, down through the router plate and out as you are finding. 2) out through the fence and 3) out in front of the work. As examples of the 2nd scenario, I find that many raised panel operations will send dust through the fence hole. The key is whether the bit is such that the dust can be sent down. For the raised panel bit itself, most of it is ejected through the fence by the force of the router bit and because, the workpiece is blocking the down direction. An example for the 3rd scenario is when using a straight bit and cutting dados. Here the chips have only one way to go, where the cut has just been made - out in front of the cut...to the left of the table. As far as DC goes, you have the answer for number 1. For the 2nd scenario, a dc port on the fence is in order the 3rd scenario is hardest to handle...usually a quick sweep after the cut is finished is all that can be done, unless you have someone who can hold a vac port in front of the wood you are routing. If your DC is powerful enough, you can set up the 1 and 2 from one good size DC. I use a 1 hp portable DC on wheels behind my router table and switch hose from port to port...not very scientific or sophisticated but workable. I have found that if you ignor the dust and chips that come down through the router plate, the router will have a greater chance of a shortened life. You have witnessed the down draft bring chips and dust down and by the router. Turn your DC off and you may well see that the routers fan will try to swallow the dust. I know people have installed bug screens around the router bit and over the top of the router. I cringe at even saying this. The thought of 22,000 rpm catching the edge of the screen ... arggggggggggg.
    Last edited by John Lucas; 09-09-2007 at 6:04 PM.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Fantastic. I have been using a down-draft box and have experienced problems w/ my motor sucking-in too much dust. Your solution is ideal. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas View Post
    Bill,
    Please do keep us informed. My understanding is that dust wants to go in three directions usually depending on the bit. First, down through the router plate and out as you are finding. 2) out through the fence and 3) out in front of the work. As examples of the 2nd scenario, I find that many raised panel operations will send dust through the fence hole. The key is whether the bit is such that the dust can be sent down. For the raised panel bit itself, most of it is ejected through the fence by the force of the router bit and because, the workpiece is blocking the down direction. An example for the 3rd scenario is when using a straight bit and cutting dados. Here the chips have only one way to go, where the cut has just been made - out in front of the cut...to the left of the table. As far as DC goes, you have the answer for number 1. For the 2nd scenario, a dc port on the fence is in order the 3rd scenario is hardest to handle...usually a quick sweep after the cut is finished is all that can be done, unless you have someone who can hold a vac port in front of the wood you are routing. If your DC is powerful enough, you can set up the 1 and 2 from one good size DC. I use a 1 hp portable DC on wheels behind my router table and switch hose from port to port...not very scientific or sophisticated but workable. I have found that if you ignor the dust and chips that come down through the router plate, the router will have a greater chance of a shortened life. You have witnessed the down draft bring chips and dust down and by the router. Turn your DC off and you may well see that the routers fan will try to swallow the dust. I know people have installed bug screens around the router bit and over the top of the router. I cringe at even saying this. The thought of 22,000 rpm catching the edge of the screen ... arggggggggggg.
    I use a shop vac and 2 gates from it to the router. Depending on what I am routing I will open one gate all the way and the other gate a lesser amount.
    With the new cabinet I will still have the DC connected to the fence port and also the under table port and use them the same way I have in the past.

router box2.jpg

Follow Up.....

I have found that the dust never gets to the motor but there are few larger chips that do go down to the box under the router. I don't think any of the could get sucked into the router motor, they are just to big and heavy.
    I do think if I had a better dust collector it would even be better, the shop vac really does not have the volume that a larger DC would have.

I built the front door last night and cut some vent grooves in it so the air can get though from the bottom.

All in all at this point I would say if you are building a new table with a enclosed box this is the way to go, the router looks so much better without all that dust on it.
    The router motor at the top, were the air comes out from the motor is clean also. In the past with just a normal down draft box this area would fill with dust also.

More to come as time goes on.

11. I've been doing that for years

Unless I am missing something, doesn't everyone do it that way?

I don't use dust collection on the fence at all. Instead I have the table open under the fence, so it just sucks down through the fence.

Clever! I like it!

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I built the front door last night and cut some vent grooves in it so the air can get though from the bottom.
    Bill, thanks for sharing your idea. Just one question: does the front door improve dust collection? I'm wondering whether leaving that area completely open would give the best performance.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by Suanne Lippman View Post
    Unless I am missing something, doesn't everyone do it that way?

I don't use dust collection on the fence at all. Instead I have the table open under the fence, so it just sucks down through the fence.
    I am not sure how that is done, do you cut part of the table out or what.

But where does all the dust go, does it go into a basic box under the router and does the router get just full of dust?

The dust all over the router is what I have cleared up, at this point I am not getting the dust on or in the router like I was with my old Bosch table.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens View Post
    Bill, thanks for sharing your idea. Just one question: does the front door improve dust collection? I'm wondering whether leaving that area completely open would give the best performance.

Regards,

John
    Well I am not sure, I don't have the front all done. I have cut about 5, 1/4 x 7 in. slots in the door at this time.

How I tested it was to put the door over the opening and listen to the vac, it change speeds a little, I had the insert that I use the most in the table. I then cut the slots until I could here no change is speed on the vac and added one more.

The door is just really for looks, I could just leave it off but I think the cabinet will look a lot better with it on.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 09-13-2007 at 10:29 AM.