Thread: Motor/Driver Question

Blog Entries

Question Motor/Driver Question

I might be ... and I emphasize might... be getting an older Rockwell/Delta lathe. I would like to convert it to a variable speed. Does anyone have any ideas on a motor replacement and Driver (the variable speed doo-hickee).

I'm thinking something like a 3/4 hp. But I'm all up for suggestions.

Thanks!!
    -Jon
    Last edited by Jon Lanier; 09-11-2007 at 2:13 AM.

Jon,
    you can pick up a 1hp vfd on the bay if you are patient fairly cheap, or goto http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.32/.f they have good deals on new ones that where I just got mine I have the 2hp version.
    then search the bay for a cheap motor. I originaly bought a 1 1/2 new baldor tefc cheap but I was afraid it would die on me as the fan slowed as the motor did, if you keep looking you can find a deal on a inverter or a vector motor these are larger motors that have more metal instead of fans or seperate fans on different power sorce or combinations of all the above. There are always alot of dayton "invertor motors" for sale there but they are tefc motor and look know different thean a general duty motor and I am not sure if the would work or not for you. Maybe someone who knows more than me can help (which does take much )I would also think you would want a 1200 or 1750 rpm.

I ended up getting a $2000 constant toqure baldor vector motor for $75. so if you keeping looking and cross referencing there companies websites you can find a good motor cheap.

if you need any help you can pm or eamil me as I just went through. I am willing to bet with pulley's, belts, drive and motor you can do it $200-300.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 09-11-2007 at 9:15 AM.

Just a note...the motor for use with the VFD needs to be a 3-phase motor. Your shop's single phase 240v service gets converted to 3-phase by the VFD.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...