Thread: Some seggy cut turnings.

Some seggy cut turnings.

Been trying different designs using different segment angles/sizes in rings. First two pictures show inside and outside of same bowl, the inside was fumed with ammonia while the outside was not. Really brought out the grain in the oak while the ash and cherry were not changed. (miss place cut sheet but contains 4 different segment angles in each ring)

The vase is made with ash, oak and a cherry top. All oak pieces were cut at 24 degrees wedge, the ash was cut with 12 degree wedge. Segments in rings start with 13 pieces on solid base and each additional ring adds two additional pieces, 15,17, 19, … 31. I identify my wedge based on number of segments in 360, hence 15 segments yields a 24 degree angle.IMG_0728.jpgIMG_0726.jpgIMG_0727.jpg

Bob,
    I am not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish with this excersize. Using different number of segements in each ring surely will hinder the achievement of the bricklayer effect, and obviously segment aliegment.
    Last edited by Bill Bulloch; 07-18-2015 at 6:43 PM.

I think he's using Jerry Bennet's wedgies. Jerry demonstrates how you can "think out of the box" in your ring design. You can place different size wedges in a ring and produce many different effects. I think OP is trying something different than what we are used to seeing.
    Good execution. Not my cup of tea. But good fit and finish.

RP

You are correct Robert, I have been playing with Jerry's design ideas. Have been adjusting ring segment counts and angles to come up with design and not all that I like.
    Bill is also correct that it makes it hard to aline the segments between rings and I am working on how to do better. Just thinking out side the box.
    Was impressed the way the oak turned out with the ammonia.
    Bob