Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: "Turning Group Members and Their Lathes"

When did you join SMC?
    According to this webbsite I joined in June of 2004, though I know that for quite a long time all I did was to lurk as my turning skills were ... well lets just say that I had none.
    How did you find out about this site?
    Probably found the site by googling something to do with turning.
    What do you enjoy the most about SMC?
    I think that without finding this site it would have taken me considerably longer to learn some of the asthetics of turning, with the help of others I've learned what is right or wrong about a piece, and what perhaps I should do differently to improve my work, everyone here seems to show a generous interest in helping others.
    What is the make, model and year of your lathe?
    I turn on a General 260-20vs I purchased the lathe used back in 2006 ( at the time I was told it was 2 yrs old so that would make it a 2004 model I believe ) but really did not start to use it till sometime in 2007 as I didn't have it set up till then
    What is your lathe's capacity?
    My lathe has an inboard capacity of 20" but in 2010 I purchased the outboard attachment which gives me a capacity of 28" but I have yet to use this feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Powermatic 90 006.jpg

When did you join SMC?
    I joined in April, 2011

How did you find out about this site?
    I was new to woodturning and was surfing the net.
    What do you enjoy the most about SMC?
    Lots of good tips from good people.
    What is the make, model and year of your lathe?
    I have four lathes. I bought my first lathe on a whim on Ebay because it brought back memories of my junior high shop class. Its a 1980 Powermatic 90 with 12" of swing. I bought my second lathe because it was a good deal and I enjoyed restoring my first one so much I thought I'd do it again. My second lathe is a 1981 Powermatic 90 that I lifted 3" to give it 18" of swing. I originally bought my third lathe for parts but when I learned it was #68 ever built I decided to restore it. Its the 1955 Powermatic 90 shown above and has an 18" swing. My wife's lathe is a Jet mini with 10" of swing. Sometime in the future I would like to sell lathe #2 and get a mustard monster.

• When did you join SMC? About May, 2015
    • How did you find out about this site? Searching for information on the Grizzly G0766 Lathe
    • What do you enjoy the most about SMC? Vital information regarding the new Grizzly G0766, and how it performs or its defects.
    • What is the make, model and year of your lathe? Currently only refurbished 19955 Shopsmith with 1989 powerhead, but very soon Grizzly G0766
    • What is your lathe's capacity? 15" x 36" on SS if perfectly balanced, soon 22" x 40" on G0766
    • BTW: I really do appreciate the candor and advise rendered from various members, and the links to videos of techniques. Thanks.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.