Thread: Better fence or table?

Better fence or table?

Thanks to all of the great input from this site, I've about decided on which table saw I'm going to purchase. Here is my final dilemma which I'm hoping to get some opinions on. I've settled on either the Grizzly 1023Z ($1094 w/ship) or the Grizzly 1023SLW ($1,194). I don't really have a preference between right or left tilt so that isn't an issue. The 1023Z comes with the precision Shop Fox fence but no router table attachment. The 1023SLW has the router table attachment but only the classic fence. The router table bought separately costs $244 w/ship and the Shop Fox fence is $275. The classic fence is $225.

I would like to buy the 1023SLW and pay the extra $50 for the fence upgrade but that apparently isn't allowed. Grizzly recommended the 1023Z and the separate attachment. But that would be $1330, so I'd be paying an extra $140 for an extra $50 in value if that makes sense.

So, to get to the point, I'm trying to decide if I should go for the better fence or the router table. I'm leaning toward the router table because I like the larger work area. But part of me says I should go with the nicer fence and buy a separate router table. I guess I'm wondering if there is that much difference in the fences or if there are advantages over having a separate router table. Space has been an issue in the one car area I have but the LOML has agreed to give up the other half of the garage so I want to go with the best option.

If you are still reading, I appreciate your patience as well as any of your opinions.
    Richard

Smile Classic v.s. Shop Fox

Hi,

I have had no experience with the original Shop Fox but can say that the Classic is all I ever hoped for in a fence.
    If what I have heard is correct, the original has to be taken off over the end of the rails. Mind you, I have never seen one. I did get in on the Biesemeyer deal a few weeks ago and bought two. I think enough of my Classic fence that I am not going to replace it with the Biese. I could put the Classic on an old Darra James that I am restoring and put the Biese. on my cabinet saw but see no reason too. The Classic is a real close take off of the Biese. I also love the left tilt but that is just a personal taste. Just my two cents worth.

Dick

Richard, if you have the space in your shop a seperate router table is a better way to go. I actually have both and use them both but the one mounted in my saws table is annoying at times. Sometimes I find myself going from the table saw to the router and back and forth and when I do this Im glad I have a seperate router table so that my saw fence and settings can remain the same. otherwise I would constantly be switching to and fro if you see what I mean. Although mounting a router in a saws table does save you some space in the shop so thats something to think about. As to the fence you will really appreciate the wider capacity if you start cutting large sheet goods on the table saw.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Hello there....

I think you'd be much happier with the 1023SLW. The Shop Fox Classic is pretty good copy of the original Biesemeyer which happens to be the " standard " by which all other fences are measured against.My saw is equipped with a Biesemeyer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Two other friends of mine have the Shop Fox Classic fence and they are quite happy with it. In my limited use of it it seems to be near the quality of a Biesemeyer.

People don't exactly " upgrade " their original fences to a Shop Fox 'precision' fence but rather they upgrade to a Biesemeyer or a similar clone of it.

Regards ; Elliott

1023SLW / My Vote

Richard,
    My saw came withe the shopfox classic. Its a great bies clone.
    I've never used the better fence so I can't compare / contrast.
    All I can tell you is, I've been very please with mine..

Good Luck..

Clint

Thanks for the replies. The SLW sounds like the way to go. Bigger table, still a solid fence. I can always look at purchasing a separate router touble later. Narrowing down which saw to buy has been tough but with all the advice here it's gotten a lot easier.

Thanks again, Richard.

another vote for the beis clone fence!!! (and the separate router table)

Richard,

I'm going to throw a monkeywrench into your plan. Before you buy, take a look at a Steel City saw. I was playing around with fences on all the saws displayed at the store the other day (WWS), and of all of them--Jet, PM, Delta, Woodtek, and SC, the SC fence was the smoothest and easiest to move and the best to lock in.

The 3hp 10" saw, RT with 50" fence, free blades (40T and 80T carbide and 8" stack dado) is $1199.99 at present, plus $146.00 motor freight charge. The LT 50" is $500 more. 5-year manufacturer's warranty on all SC machines.

The 1-1/2 hp 10" hybrid LT is $999.99, plus $93.00 motor freight, and there is a $100 mail-in rebate until March 31, 2008. You might want to rethink.

Nancy (96 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Richard,
    I have a Grizzly TS with the Ultimate Shop Fox Fence. http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...88/g/g4722.jpg I also have a friend with the Classic Fence. My fence is much better and easier to use than his is, and stays put better when you lock the handle down. It is easier to adjust and stays true better, and with the top t-track as part of the fence you don't have to drill on the fence or clamp on it to add board buddies or hold downs or other appliances. Left or right tilt is a choice, but if you do a lot of angle ripping, the left tilt is safer and easier to use. Just MHO.
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 09-17-2007 at 9:09 AM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

The Classic is typically the more sought after of those two fences regardless of what moniker Griz places on them. The Classic is also more highly reviewed historically. It's a good Biesemeyer copy, which is a very popular and highly rated design. Get the SLW and be happy!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....