Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROS needs replacing - What to buy??

Question ROS needs replacing - What to buy??

My 10 year old 5 inch ROS is grinding slowly to a halt. It's been a godsend and I'll give it a good resting place.

I'm an amateur but getting a little better and a little more aggressive in my projects each year. Working mostly with hardwoods now.

Any brand recommendations? 5 inch vs. 6 inch? Thanks in advance for your 3 cents (informed opinions are always worth more!)

I guess it is all relative to what you want to spend – some will tell you that you need a $300+ Festool. I have been very happy with my much less expensive PC ROS sanders.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jim,

I've had a PC 333 for many years and it's been a good ROS. A couple of years ago, I added a Makita BO5010KX. While both are good machines, I favor the Makita because it seems to be a bit more comfortable in my hand and might be a tad more aggressive than the PC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I have the PC barrel sander (97366) - variable speed, 6" with a dust hood on it and a hookup for the shop vac. It works very well, but it's a lot more aggressive than a 5" model. I use it to get to 180 or 220 grit, and then use a non random orbital sander to get to 400 grit, so I can't comment on whether or not it does a good job for super finish. I do know that with a clear gloss finish, it leaves little orbital hooks in the wood's surface at the 180 grit level.

it doubles as a polisher if you get the kit to use it as such, and I think it's about $150 bucks (without the polishing kit) at coastal tool. Not cheap, but nice to have. Because of its power (and because of hand planes), I never have to use a belt sander, and the initial grits (whether they start at 100 or 150) are pretty good to go through.

I like the dust control a lot - it's not as good as Festool probably, but it's nice. Well worth the extra $20 or $30, or whatever the additional cost it is for the dust hood and hose kit. I think the pad might be different, too.

Most people used to 5" sanders don't seem to like the type that mine is - the orbital motion is much wider, and the sander can "walk" on its own sometimes.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-12-2007 at 4:27 PM.

I have the Rigid 6"VS Dual Orbit-Random Sander Model R2610 which I believe to be made by Metabo and identical to the Metabo SXE450 model. In any case, I have been quite happy with it and the dust control is pretty good when hooked to a shop vac. I know some people don't like the Rigid line but I have found this one to be good.
    Ben
    Last edited by Benjamin Dahl; 09-12-2007 at 6:14 PM. Reason: wrong rigid model number given

I have the 5" Porter Cable and a Ridgid 5" and the one I reach for most often is the Ridgid. Better dustcontrol, less vibration, and better finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post
    My 10 year old 5 inch ROS is grinding slowly to a halt. It's been a godsend and I'll give it a good resting place.
    I have a Bosch ROS of the same era, and I'd be loathe to replace it with anything new. Put in new brushes, bearings if needed, and it should be good for another decade.
    Last edited by Kent Fitzgerald; 09-12-2007 at 3:51 PM.

I have the Ridgid 2610 6" ROS and like it a lot. My understanding is that the model 2610 was made by Metabo but then the model number was changed to 2611 and is made in China for whatever that is worth. If a person wanted the Metabo I see that it is available from several places including Amazon.

f e s t o o l

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post

I'm an amateur but getting a little better and a little more aggressive in my projects each year. Working mostly with hardwoods now.

Any brand recommendations? 5 inch vs. 6 inch? Thanks in advance for your 3 cents (informed opinions are always worth more!)

The Rigid 5" ROS has an annoying habit of turning itself on if it falls over or is laid down on it's side, since the On push button is so exposed. Otherwise it's a good product for the price. The standard 12' cord is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    f e s t o o l
    Keep in mind that not all of us are as rich as you!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

No matter what you settle for, try to buy the best sander you can afford that has the least vibration and good dust extraction. For me that was Festool, but there are options available that at least go in the right direction. You want low vibration so you can sand longer without hurting your hand and wrist and the need for decent dust extraction is pretty obvious these days of greater awareness of the health hazard that wood dust presents.

Relative to size, both of my Festool sanders are 6". My previous sanders (PC333 series) were 5". I don't miss the smaller units one bit...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The reviews lead me to the Bosch 1295VS. Some folks here have stated that they like them but they go through brushes too quickly. I've used the pee-wad outta mine and have not experience this (yet). It had the smoothest pattern of those tested and the difference when compared to others I have used attests to this. Better finish in less time but that is just my (limited) experience. Around $60.

P.s. I got the vacuum attachment for about $3 and a small shop vac hos fits right on. I added a switch that powers on the vac when I turn on the sander and it is sweet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Originally Posted by Jason White
    f e s t o o l

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post

I know the feeling Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post

Gary K.