Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to mark up Cribbage Board

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    In lieu of rub-on letters, you can prepare your text on the computer, and print reverse-reading on a laser printer. MSPaint seems to have the easiest facility for flipping the image. Attach the printout face down on the wood, with tape well beyond the printed area. Go over the back with a clothes iron on its highest setting (usually Linen). The toner is transferred to the wood by the iron's heat. For best results, the wood should be as smooth as possible; scraping can produce almost a mirror finish. Also, best to do this while SWMBO is away for a while; a friend of mine gets unlimited grief when he washes car parts in the kitchen sink.

Joe
    I am TOTALLY going to try this. If it works, Joe, you will be my hero. I will probably sand down to a super fine grit rather than scrape, though, as I've had trouble with scraping in the past - tearing and gouging, and I don't want to wreck my only piece of this wood - my trouble was admittedly just from inexperience/dull scrapers, though.

To Mack: This is the place I found online, but I thought their prices were a bit high. A few are also available on ebay, but pretty limited in font styles.
    http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/.../graphics.aspx
    here's another:
    http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/N...Alphabets.html

I have yet to find them in person. I'm thinking maybe an art supply store or a craft store (Michaels). The local hobby shop did not have them, which surprised me.
    Last edited by Andy Henriksen; 09-19-2007 at 9:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Henriksen View Post
    I am TOTALLY going to try this.
    Andy, definitely try it on some scrap first. Consider both sanding and scraping in two separate places. I prefer a hand-held bare utility knife blade for scraping - almost a mirror finish on PT pine. Use a light touch, with the grain or at a slight bias for a slicing component.

Joe