Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who sharpens your handsaws?

One of the members here, Scott Whiting in Scottsdale, AZ, also has a sharpening service. You might try contacting him, also.

Nancy (92 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by John Borgwardt View Post
    I have been in contact with a gentleman named Marv Werner. Marv sells reconditioned saws on ebay. His ebay name is marvco64. His saws are all sharpened and ready for use. He must do a great job sharpening as he has a 6 week waiting time. You can email Marv at werner161@ mchsi.com
    I am more interested in sharpening the ones I have. Two really nice ones stand out, an old Stanley and an older Disston, once those two are sharp I should be set. I'll have a total of about 10 handsaws once I'm done, if I buy any more it will be purely out of collecting interest.

Turning out walnut handles at the rate of one a day, should be able to re-handle my cheaper Craftsman saws too, will post results once they're all done.

Ryan check your local hardware stores, check the yellow pages. In the end find the shop and deal with him one on one.

Saw Sharpening

While prowling the nether regions of a junk/antique store I found a Disston saw vise and a pristine Disston saw catalog/manual. This manual has invaluable advise on sharpening. I also bought several cant files at an auction and picked up an Atkins saw jointer at a flea market for $2 with the condition that I tell the vendor what it was. Other auction items were several saw sets and an old Foley saw sharpener with the manual. I didn't go broke buying any of this stuff. I haven't gotten the Foley set up yet as I have been too busy doing everything but what I want to do.
    I can sharpen a D-8 without any trouble but I will have to have someone with better eyesight sharpen my finer toothed saws.

I sharpen them myself. It is not rocket science, just plain ole good handwork, and the learning curve is almost flat. Phil
    Philip

FWIW, I use an I think disston no 2 saw vice that has the part on top that hold the file at the right angles to get consistant teeth. I also have 2 other style saw file holders that just set on the teeth and you move them along as you file. The advantage to the diston vise with the holder on top is you can also set the depth.
    This one is advertised on that place we not supposed to mention at the moment and it looks complete except for the file handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Steve Cooke

I have the good fortune to live about 45 min. from Steve. He's a really cool guy. He's been kind enough to give me enough pointers on sharpening so, that I can do my own now. I still let him sharpen my finer backsaws though. He's clearly not making his living sharpening handsaws. He's just a vintage saw nut.

Mark Grable is a Metate, which means he is qualified to sharpen Japanese saws, but he also does Western style. From everything I've read, he's excellent.

Instruction on sending him your saws can be found here:

http://www.daikudojo.org/Links/mark_...g_service.html

Matt