Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I use my monster air compressor for....

I use my monster air compressor for....

Well, I don't have a monster compressor, but as I upgrade my new shop I will be in the market for a new compressor. My question to the creekers is what woodworking tools need a big 80 gal 220v compressor. I thought air sanders maybe, but with new ROS sanders like the Festool, are big compressors overkill?

Any thoughts?

Any air tool that you run for a sustained period (air sanders, grinders, etc) and spray paint equipment (yes, even HVLP). If you don't plan on ever using those things then a smaller compressor is more than adequate.

Eric, I have the smaller (2hp/30gal horizontal) IR Garage-Mate. I didn’t have the space or dedicated power for a larger unit. The Garage-mate has done everything I have asked of it including conventional spraying.
    I also added an ADV so I wouldn't have to remember to drain the darn thing.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17659
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a big 7.5hp 80gal IR compressor, but it's left over from my previous hobby of automotive customization. DA sanders, painting and using air grinders... I needed one that big then. Today, I would get a much less substantial machine. In a woodshop, unless you're using air to sand with, a big compressor is overkill IMO. But then again, I'm all about some overkill when it comes to tools.

Ok, if you are looking for support here for a tool purchase, I will say that a larger CFM rating at say 40 psi will help you run hvlp guns. These guns can run with lower CFM ratings (i'm using a 30 gallon compressor rated at 7.8), but remember what HVLP stands for: High Volume, Low Pressure. I make do with what I have, but I also have to push the pressure up a bit higher than I would like, which produces more overspray than I would like.

But of course, if you want the bigger compressor, by all means get it.

You may find the size handy if you ever want to use it with a venturi vacuum system (used for vacuum bagging veneers, laminates, vacuum clamping, chucking, etc).

I doubt I'd consider a pneumatic sander for my shop...the electrics do fine and are more portable...but the 60 gallon IR compressor has been a wonderful tool in my shop. I do spray finishes and the larger tank means a lot less run-time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Its like most things it depends on how you plan to use it. For just general woodshop use you really dont need much of a compressor. But as Jim B said above if you're going to be spraying with one its nice to have the extra reserve of air. I use mine for my brad nailers and staplers and to blow off pieces before finishing mostly, I dont spray a whole lot but when I do I have an aux 50 gal tank that I use.
    One quick word about air sanders. Until about a week ago I would have never given much thought to using one in my shop. I was helping to prep my bands tour bus for paint and used a DA?? I believe thats what they were calling it. That thing was awesome! Fast, clean and very light. Something to think about now for sure!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That is what I thought. I picked up a turbinaire used for cheap and I have adequate sanders. I did not want the big power drain of a big compressor or did I want the foot print. Thanks for the opinions!

HVLP unit primarally. That said, I have found tons of use for it since I upgrades. IR S3S (or SS3 - I forget) with the 6-gallon tank.

Most of my woodworking related pneumatic tools (nailers, drill, air brushes, etc.) don't require significant air. Even the impact guns and die grinders aren't too bad. However, DA Sanders, plasma cutter, HVLP, and especially the sandblaster get hungry and and crave the cfm of my 80 gal IR.

I use it for blowing the dust off projects before finishing, and for general cleanup.

I also use a long board sander, a DA, and an HVLP gun.

I also like my monster (Quincy) because its so quiet. It has a 1725 RPM induction motor and it doesn't scare me or make me deaf when it cycles on and off. I can easily continue working without having to don ear plugs. The only quieter power tool that I have is my Makita cordless drill.

Big air tanks also tend to throw less water out the hose when you are using low volumes of air, due to the bigger surface area of the tank helping it to condense out.

are big compressors overkill?

Probably overkill in the woodshop, but little compressors are a joke in the garage so I use the same compressor for both jobs. Ran a pipe from the garage into the woodshop. As stated already, sprayers and ROS sanders are about the only thing that would draw much cfm in the woodshop.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    60 gal 5 hp IR Titanium, operates standard air guns, drills, grinder, sander, floor jack and a pressure washer.
    Doesn't get as much work as when I was doing more auto work.
    Comes in handy and fun to look at.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56652
    TJH
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 09-19-2007 at 9:08 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

15. I have just upgraded to a 7hp 80 gallon, from a 3hp 60gallon in my garage, and I really like the additional air storage and quicker recovery time. In the wood shop, I have a 20 gallon 3hp Craftsman, or rebadged Porter-Cable, and it is plenty for the wood shop. Running HVLP mostly and blowing dust off projects. This is the quietest air compressor that I have EVER been around. Don't regret either purchase, but if I had to choose and a/c for a wood shop, I would go with the Craftsman/P-C. As Jim said, I will rarely use tools that consume large amounts of air in the wood shop. Good Luck. Bill