Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sawstop: 3 or 5HP? Sawstop Fence or Incra/Jointech, etc.?

1. Got a 3 hp Unisaw, and had one about 20 years ago. Nice saw and have no complaints. I did get the Biesemeyer fence this time around and it is a disappointment, to say the least. I'd go for the Unifence again if I could. Very over-rated IMHO.

Same goes with the SS. They are getting a pretty penny for their saw. But my biggest gripe with it is the very idea that you can put your fingers into a saw blade without fear of ripping them to shreds. I think that is fundamentally a bad idea.

So then you go to your BS or jointer and do the same? Part of the discipline in a wood shop is to teach yourself how not to get hurt by your intellect and instincts. The SS is a fake out and I am afraid that it dulls that instinct with a false sense of security.

Sounds old fashioned? Oh well, I only have about 20 more years to go at this so you won't have to put up with this rant for a REAL long time.

Good luck on your choices; remembering that what you buy is what you got.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    Same goes with the SS. They are getting a pretty penny for their saw. But my biggest gripe with it is the very idea that you can put your fingers into a saw blade without fear of ripping them to shreds. I think that is fundamentally a bad idea.

got.
    Good gosh do you really believe SS prospective buyers or owners think that.

Eric, I would make sure you have plenty of room for the expansion. I have a 200 amp service and have been using a lot more 220 than when I built.
    Never too much space in a breaker box. As far as the power mentioned on the SS I thought my 1 1/2 hp Sears was plenty too until I got this saw. There is a difference that I think has to be experienced to make the comparison.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    Table saw motors and router motors are not rated the same. No way is a 3 hp PC router producing the same 3hp that the marathon motor in my Uni produces.
    And here I was thinking it was just the speed controller!

I still say a "real man" has a 5 Hp router.

5. I don't believe that SS owners or prospective buyers 'think' they can stick their finger in to the saw safely.

My point here is that training instincts to have respect for all tools, power or otherwise is a critical phase in developing good shop skills. I want to think that everything I touch in the shop can damage fragile skin and bone and have respect for it all.

My 2 cents worth is that a SS is a false sense of security and undermines that discipline; the intuition of respecting everything that can cut wood.

But hey, I've been wrong lotsa times before.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

Bob Fesser; nice pics.

I want to buy an Incra for my router and after seeing your set up I think I will go in that direction. What modle fence do you have. I was just looking at the Ts Ls and it looks like yours. Does it work well with the router and did you have to buy a different fence with an opening for the router bit.

i have the incra with 92 inch rails and to accomodate the 52" rip measurement i simply have another tape in of the four channels that picks up where the 32" leaves off i don't like doing math. i am also considering a sawstop i currently have a 2 hp general which will struggle with 8/4 hardwood. i spoke to lee valley about purchasing the 3hp without a fence and was told they could not sell the machine without the fence system my question has anyone purchased a sawstop minus the fence ?

Bill, I think you're going to find it to be a challenge to buy any new saw without a fence. Stuff is pretty much "packaged" these days. But you do have the option of selling the OEM fence once you have it if you have something else you prefer...it may be a great upgrade for someone else.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Unless the price difference is substantial, there isn't any downside on the higher horsepower in the long run outside of a 30 amp circuit requirement. I'm not personally fond of the Incra/Jointech type fences due to the space they take up, but others swear by them. I prefer a UniFence type fence...
    +1 - I have the 5 hp in a shop similar to what you're considering. I don't see any difference in performance between the 5 hp SawStop and the 3 hp Unisaw it replaced. I also prefer my old Unifence with the aftermarket Uni-T-Fence to the stock Sawstop fence.

I have the 3 hp SawStop Professional Cabinet saw and it is plenty for me. I do quite a bit of woodworking and have no issues with the 3 hp. I upgraded several years ago from an old Craftsman table saw my Daughter and Son-In-Law have it now. I have the Kreg Miter and just purchased the Incra Miter & Sled combo. I think I like the Kreg miter better but the Incra miter is dead on accurate.

I just love the way this group picks up on ten year old (to the day in this case) conversations as if only a day had passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I just love the way this group picks up on ten year old (to the day in this case) conversations as if only a day had passed.
    That's a good benefit of a mature forum community...lot's of good information and dialog in the knowledge base and much of it still is relevant.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a good benefit of a mature forum community...lot's of good information and dialog in the knowledge base and much of it still is relevant.
    Absolutely. Active threads, while often interesting, seldom relate to the same kinds of information I need. The archives are the gold mine.