Thread: Sliding or Non-Sliding Miter

Sliding or Non-Sliding Miter

I am thinking of selling my DW735 Sliding compaund miter and buying the Bosch unit.I really like the feel of the Bosch and the upfront controls.
    But I am starting to think that I could save some space by doing away with a slider. What do you think? Is the slider that important most of my cuts are 6" or less. There are times that I cut a 10-12 piece but could alwasy do a flip n cut. Do you think i'll miss it? What do most of you have?
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

i have dewalt 706 NONSLIDER and i'm glad because it doesn't take up that much space and is much lighter to move around. i have a table saw with a sliding table so i usually use that to cut anything wider than the miter saw will allow. i also don't like how you make the cuts on a sliding miter saw: pull, lower, push. much easier to just CHOP away! BTW the bosch is a great unit with all of your bevel adjustment knobs at the FRONT of the saw.

Ted I have both. I keep the slider mounted on a mobile base for jobsite work. It sucks to be out on the job and not have enough cutting capacity. In the shop I use a non sliding 12" saw. If you don't do much over 6", I would look really hard at a standard saw. It'll probably do everything you need.

Good luck,
    Chris

I'm happy with my 12" non-sliding Dewalt, which I have in a miter station against a wall. If you go for a non-slider, you might consider one of the dual-bevels ones. I bought a dual-bevel not because I cut a lot of bevels, but because the visibility of what you are cutting is a lot better than with a single-bevel saw. With the latter the motor is right next to the blade; with the dual-bevels it is up and back, out of the way, and uses a belt or gears to turn the blade.

Cary

Be prepared

I have a twelve in dual beval slider and though I have only used the extra capacity a couple of times over the past year I'm glad I have it. You never know when you will come across a situation that will be made easier with the extra capacity. Unless there is something wrong with the dw737 I would keep it.

Here is my opinion on this subject. The problem with non slider miter saws is when cutting wider boards, like 1X6s, the entire blade plunges into the board at once. With a slider, you pull the blade out and cut into the front of the board like a radial arm saw, much more efficient and easier on the blade. I'm cutting oak most of the time and can see a real difference, I'll never buy a non slider.

Richard

richard, you brought up a very good point that when it comes to cutting THICKER wood, the slider is probably a better way to do it. do you have an apprentice to help you move that beast around?

I have two of each.

2 dw705
    2 dw708

I use my sliders the most. I cannot do without them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Here is my opinion on this subject. The problem with non slider miter saws is when cutting wider boards, like 1X6s, the entire blade plunges into the board at once. With a slider, you pull the blade out and cut into the front of the board like a radial arm saw, much more efficient and easier on the blade. I'm cutting oak most of the time and can see a real difference, I'll never buy a non slider.

Richard
    I agree. If a slider is in the budget that's the way to go. The Makita 10" sliding miter is a nice one. I, myself have the DW12" sliding miter (not sure the model number but it's their top one) I love it. The only thing I don't like is that the fences' length doesn't allow you to put a stop at 14-1/2 " which is a common size for blocks when framing a house. You have to build a clamp on device or make a sacrificial fence. Pretty minor issue though.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    ...I, myself have the DW12" sliding miter (not sure the model number but it's their top one) I love it. The only thing I don't like is that the fences' length doesn't allow you to put a stop at 14-1/2 " which is a common size for blocks when framing a house. You have to build a clamp on device or make a sacrificial fence. Pretty minor issue though.
    What I do is keep a 20" spacer on hand. If I want to cut a board, say, 14.5" long, I set the stop to 20+14.5 = 34.5" and place the spacer between the stop and board.

Cary

I have the dewalt 735 12" dual bevel, non-slider. Love it, works great for me, I don't cut alot of 8" and wider boards????/ And if i have some , I'll go to the table saw. With my saw , cutting 1X6 or wider or thicker, I make sure to feed into piece real easily, knowing it's eating at all of the 6" at once. Works for me , haven't ruined any blades yet.