Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My used table saw purchase, questions ...

My used table saw purchase, questions ...

Hi everyone.

I've been reading on this forums and others for the last couple of months, getting background information before buying my first table saw. I'm in my early 50's, and have always been interested in getting started in woodworking for many years. Before I purchased this, I had looked at a number of new saws in stores, and keeping an eye on used saws in Craigslist. My saw will be kept in a detached garage, and for now be rolled outside until I get the attached workroom organized (a project in itself).

When the opportunity arose to buy this Delta contractors saw (34-444, made in 1993) for $90, I felt I could not afford to let this purchase pass.

There is a little bit of surface rust on the right hand side cast iron top, though I expect it should clean up. And there is some blemishes to the stamped metal side surfaces.

The motor runs smooth (a penny will stand while running, though it will fall turning the motor on or off as there are some vibrations spinning up and down).

The crank handle gears are a little rough, my guess is due to the fact of all the built up gunk underneath as shown in pictures below:

It looks like with taking four bolts off from below the table, I can take the saw cast iron top with the saw attached off the metal cabinet, which would then give me access to clean up the crud.

Is this the right approach? Any advice as to how far to go in cleaning this up / renewing it?
    Last edited by Charles Modica; 09-23-2007 at 3:08 PM. Reason: Wasnt finished

should work.

I have never looked at a contractor saw that carefully but everything I have heard about them tells me every is mounted to the table except the motor. I would check the blade runout and if the fence is paralel to the miter slot first and make sure you can keep it all strait first.

I forgot to add that this $90 bargain came with the JDS Accu-Miter, though it's got junk on it that I will try to clean off.

I did pick up the Miter Gauge Extra Stop at Amazon for $20 (its now $37) shown below.

All in all, I think I got an incredible deal, and I can always sell this later and get all of my money back (and perhaps more) when I get experience and want a better saw.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I have never looked at a contractor saw that carefully but everything I have heard about them tells me every is mounted to the table except the motor. I would check the blade runout and if the fence is paralel to the miter slot first and make sure you can keep it all strait first.
    It appears to be pretty straight -- I have to do all the setup checks (I received The Table Saw book and the Mastering Your Table Saw as gifts before I bought the saw), but I figured I'd do all the setup stuff after I get it cleaned up.

I also may very well spend $25 on the PowerTwist Plus belt, keeping the perfectly good belt on it to put back on when and if I sell it.

It seems like a good deal especially if it doesn't vibrate. Its a great starter saw. Besides, I hear its not the saw but the guy using it who makes the accurate cuts.

Thumbs up

That's a heck of a good deal for $90. Lots of untapped potential for tweaks and minor improvements at that price. If you ever wanted to, you could always upgrade the steel wings to cast iron, upgrade the fence, and add a link belt. Pick up a decent blade or two....

Enjoy!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think you got a great deal on the saw. The miter gage and Freud blade are bonuses. If ever you want to up grade, just clean it up real nice and you can sell it at a profit.

Charles, I have that same saw with a 30" Unifence, and mobile base 34-445. I bought it new in 1995 for $850. Just looking at the extension wings on your saw I would say that your saw has seen very little use. I don't see a reason to take it apart. You got one heck of a deal. All I have added to the saw since I bought it was a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt and a improved dust port that I designed myself. It has been a very good saw.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 09-23-2007 at 4:56 PM.

Nice looking saw, but the fence looks like an old clunker. Get over to Lowe's and see if they've got any Biesemeyers left for $80 (they've been closing them out -- normally $400). The model # is 36-B30. It will "make" your tablesaw. If you can't find one, check ebay where's they're going for about $200-ish (new in box).

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Modica View Post
    Hi everyone.

I've been reading on this forums and others for the last couple of months, getting background information before buying my first table saw. I'm in my early 50's, and have always been interested in getting started in woodworking for many years. Before I purchased this, I had looked at a number of new saws in stores, and keeping an eye on used saws in Craigslist. My saw will be kept in a detached garage, and for now be rolled outside until I get the attached workroom organized (a project in itself).

When the opportunity arose to buy this Delta contractors saw (34-444, made in 1993) for $90, I felt I could not afford to let this purchase pass.

There is a little bit of surface rust on the right hand side cast iron top, though I expect it should clean up. And there is some blemishes to the stamped metal side surfaces.

The motor runs smooth (a penny will stand while running, though it will fall turning the motor on or off as there are some vibrations spinning up and down).

The crank handle gears are a little rough, my guess is due to the fact of all the built up gunk underneath as shown in pictures below:

It looks like with taking four bolts off from below the table, I can take the saw cast iron top with the saw attached off the metal cabinet, which would then give me access to clean up the crud.

Is this the right approach? Any advice as to how far to go in cleaning this up / renewing it?

That's an older Jetlock fence, they aren't bad as long as the rails aren't bent. I have the 50" version on my Unisaw. It makes repeatable cuts, as long as you are careful lining it up.

Very nice saw for $90....you should be proud to own that one.

Great buy! I have a 36-something, bought in 96, that looks very similar, which has served me well. I do have the bies fence on it, and love it.

As far as getting the bies fence... actually, I know that there are folks on this forum that raced out and bought 5 or more of these things! So, I wouldn't be too surprised if you went to the "Lowes Biesmeyer fence" thread (use search for those terms), read it, and PMed a few of the folks who bought the world's supply, if one of them might not be happy to sell you one for $120 or something. Having a pile of "great craigslist buys that I can resell later for a profit!" still sitting in my garage, I can say that I'd be happy to part with most of it to a fellow creeker starting out for vastly less than I advertised on CL...
    GOOD LUCK!

You got a great buy and were smart to buy a good used saw for your first one. You'll learn a lot by using it and be more knowledgable if you ever upgrade. I have the same JDS Accumiter miter guage and I'm very happy with it, it's worth more than what you paid for the saw. If someday you ever decide to upgrade you can easily sell the saw for more than you paid for it plus keep the JDS for your next saw.

used Delta saw

Charles, looks as if you got a good deal on that saw...especially for the price. I looked at all the pictures....and was wondering...where is the power switch for the saw? Didn't see it,I did see the backside of an electrical box from an inside picture, but not from the front side. If I were you, I would think about relocating it to a much more convient/ accessible
    location for safety sake more than anything else. A large paddle type safety switch (on - off) like a red stop sign may prove to be really handy someday. Jim Heffner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    I looked at all the pictures....and was wondering...where is the power switch for the saw?
    There's a toggle on the front, just to the left of the bevel angle scale. I agree that a larger switch, or a magnetic starter, would be a big improvement.