Thread: Are all pen mandrels created equal?

Are all pen mandrels created equal?

I am just about to purchase a pen mandrel and was wondering if all are "created equal" By equal I mean can different brands of bushings be used on one mandrel? I saw a warning on in the Packards catalog that suggests thier mandrel and bushings might have a unique diameter. Can anyone give me advice on this issue? Or am I stuck buying different mandrels from each brand to got with their bushings?

Thanks in advance

Joel

Joel,

you will end up with several mandrels. The diff bushings will need diff diameter. For example the standard mandrel will not work with the emperor or el grande, you will need a thicker mandrel. Worth the money to get a quality one though.

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Size A and size B mandrels will do the job. I have not noticed a difference from one seller to another. All of the kits are made in China anyway. I would suggest you start with a size A as this will do the 7mm pens which covers a wide range. I like the style that slides in a collett as opposed to the ones that screw into the morse taper, a little more expensive but one is able to adjust the mandrel.

Regards, Steve