Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any PC Gamers here in WW land?

I used to spend a lot of time gaming. Very addictive, I decided that if I were going to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing something, I should have something to show for it. Hence, my reason #8 to start woodworking.

Of course, these days, I don't have time for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I used to build computers to game with.. I still build computers but I don't game on them any more since I got an xbox 360. It seemed to me every time a new game came out you needed a new processor, video card, etc. The price of admission got to costly for me to keep up. Now I buy an xbox 360 game and I know it will play just fine on my 360 no matter it came out.
    Consoles are great and all, but FPS games on PC >>> than any console! (unless said system can use a mouse)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz View Post
    Consoles are great and all, but FPS games on PC >>> than any console! (unless said system can use a mouse)
    Russ,
    I have played FPS on both and I prefer the controler to the clunky keyboard. With the controler I can concentrate on the game not where my fingers are on the keyboard. To each his own. I guess I am not enough of a hardcore gamer. I'm ok with that.

Discovered Unreal Tournatment and Mech Warrior on my Dell 686 and dial up, got killed....

Next step was to build my own comp, did that and went to cable and life was fun, used to play Mech until 2 in the mornings at times, belonged to a team and we fought league battles in several different leagues.

Mech died and I no longer game, did modify my comp with a few upgrades and added a 300 gig HD and another 300 external HD and revamped the comp for music/video mostly.

Now building one for the garage and will run the 300gig external HD on it, I have that HD full of music and it should replace the 5CD changer I'm using now.

Just waiting for the right game to come along and I'll build another comp, lucky enough to have a wacko friend who constantly upgrading his and I get to hear what works and what doesn't.
    I just wait till he gets a system that works well and build one that's just a hair better...

Have fun, it can be habit forming...
    Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I just wait till he gets a system that works well and build one that's just a hair better...
    Used to do that to a guy I worked with, there were 5 of us in a shop all into building our own PC's. This guy just had to have the best. One of us would get a new monitor, the next Monday he would have a new one just a little better. Then someone else would get a new motherboard. Next Monday same thing he had one just a bit faster with more RAM. We played this game with him for a couple years and got bored of it. Besides he was going broke keeping up.

My first one was a radio shack coco 1 back about 1980 with 4K of ram. By the time I built my first pc the coco had a whole 256K of ram, 2 hard drives and I was running OS9, a version of unix.

My first pc was a 286 and each time I upgraded the wife got my old one. She mainly plays solitaire and word processing so she's happy. Just built my latest intel core2 with 2 gig of ram. I don't do online gaming or run any that have to connect to the internet to run. Just don't totally trust these companies and I have to much other stuff on my pc. My son buys the games and when he finishes with one he gives it to me. Right now I am in the middle of Dawn of War Platinum edition.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Russ,
    I have played FPS on both and I prefer the controler to the clunky keyboard. With the controler I can concentrate on the game not where my fingers are on the keyboard. To each his own. I guess I am not enough of a hardcore gamer. I'm ok with that.
    Cary, once you play enough PC based FPS's, you will retain the muscle memory! Most FPS games use the typical WASD keys to move, maybe QE to lean, SHFT to run, ZXC to crouch, etc. So it's easy to go from game to game.

The MAIN issue with console FPS, is the lack of aim control, as well as spinning around/change of direction. The mouse is WAY more effective at that than a controller (even with a joystick).

Just another plug for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter two. WOW. Intense battles. Anyone else playing this?

Also loaded up NeverWinter Nights 2 and Half Life 2 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Just another plug for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter two. WOW. Intense battles. Anyone else playing this?

Half Life 2 Episode 2 The Big Orange Box comes out tomorrow. Supposed to be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

Only play GRAW2 in spurts, they've got the difficulty dialed up too hard! Take two steps, sniped, reload, take two steps, sniped, repeat until you throw cordless mouse across room!