Thread: Lathe Runout

Lathe Runout

Ok I have searched the forum and searched the net. I have seen people claim .025 runout is ok and I have seen people complain of .001 runout. What is everyone opinion and does it even matter? Currently my lathe, a harbor freight special, was clocked at .005 runout. I tested it a number of ways and all said the same. My last test was right behind the threads on the headstock and it read the same. What I am really wondering is does it matter? Should I concern myself, take it back, and save up my bucks? I know this is not my end all lathe but I just wanted something with variable speed and upgraded from a Rockler M-Power. I know there is mxed feelings on this lathe but beyond that what is everyone's opinions on the runout specifically. So far the lathe passes the nickel test and lines up dead center between head a tail.

Thanks for the help!

Shane

Shane,
    It's a matter of value for the money, and a matter of do you "need" it or do you just "want" it.

If I paid 4 to 8 grand (maybe even 2.5 grand) for a lathe and measured more than .001" runout, or maybe .0015", I would be disappointed. For your HF machine with the properties you described, I think you have a winner. Depending on how measured, the .005" is the same as zero in a wood turning machine, and will have zero effect upon the work that you do with it.

Suggest you forget about runout for a while, and turn some wood.

The main problem you will have will be doing things like pens that have fixed bushing.

Bob