Thread: Servicing / Retreading Old Bandsaw

Servicing / Retreading Old Bandsaw

In the San Diego area and I have recently purchased both a Northfield 36 Bandsaw build originally in 1967 and a SCMI Model: SC/600 Bandsaw for cheap. They both need new rubber for their wheels and maybe some misc pieces. Anybody know any decent companies in San Diego to help me service these machines?

Not in San Diego but in western Wisconsin, you can hook up with Bobby at Woodworker's Tool Works. They re-tire band saw wheels. Their company goes back a ways (multiple decades) and have been doing this sort of thing for years.

Having said that, you can do it yourself. It's not that hard. If you visit the OWWM forum and do a little searching you'll find a dozen or so ways to replace tires and true them up. It's something of a specialty there, coming up with a new way to skin that cat.

Hi Chris, Daley saw service, I think they are in South gate .They did some bandsaw wheels for me some time ago.They are not a small shop defiantly worth the drive if you want it done right.

is the SCM not a vulcanized Tire and the Northfield a special quick change tire? Does northfield not want to do it?
    jack
    English machines

Can't give you servicing company but is Northfield not operating anymore? Northfield vulcanizes their tires . You may want to check owwm .

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    is Northfield not operating anymore?
    It is still operating.

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/

Cat Leash Bandsaw Tire Repair

Here is my cheapo bandsaw saw that has run through mostly wood and aluminum since 1991. First picture is of a 'cat leash' tire replacement that has lasted for four years. Second picture taken today is of a urethane tire that is getting ready to 'let loose'. I already ordered a nylon web cat leash ( 18mm width) on Ebay for like $3.00 and will carefully cut a proper circumference and use contact glue to attach the leash to a sanded and cleaned aluminum bowed wheel (if your wheel is flat then figure out how to put a hump in it). After that I will finger paint the wheel's outside web surface with with white glue- same as I did with the first repair- and let it dry to form a rubbery blade-contact surface. Bandsaws are all different but this repair might work for yours.DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1050.jpg