Thread: Need a turning club in SW WA

Need a turning club in SW WA

I have decided there is a need for a turning club in SW WA. I have been driving 1:15 to Lacey, WA to attend the Woodturners of Olympia club meetings. The Portland, OR clubs are closer but traffic is worse. So I am looking to form a club in Longview, WA to serve NW Ore and SW Washington. There are at least 8 turners in the area for a nucleus of talent. The only problem is finding an organized person the make it happen. Anyone who has seen my shop knows I am not the person for the job. Chaos is an understatement.

Non the less I will attempt to garner interest after returning from SWAT next month. Please contact me if you are interested in a Longview, WA turning club.

Dave Smith

Entropy poster boy in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Dave,
    Hope you get some positive response from the "Other 8". Of course you are more than welcome over here on "The Dry Side", MidColumbia Woodturners in the Tri Cities. If you are passing through, stop in. We have been meeting in some of our member's shops and recently found a local unfinished furniture retail business that has a shop attached that most graciously offered us space for our meetings. Of course, it is also a "draw" for his walk in customers to have us in the back (open door into the meeting and demos) on the 2nd Saturday of the month. And, some of our members buy wood from him on occasion for that special project.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Oly is a bit of a hike from where you are.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Wood turning club?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I have decided there is a need for a turning club in SW WA. I have been driving 1:15 to Lacey, WA to attend the Woodturners of Olympia club meetings. The Portland, OR clubs are closer but traffic is worse. So I am looking to form a club in Longview, WA to serve NW Ore and SW Washington. There are at least 8 turners in the area for a nucleus of talent. The only problem is finding an organized person the make it happen. Anyone who has seen my shop knows I am not the person for the job. Chaos is an understatement.

Non the less I will attempt to garner interest after returning from SWAT next month. Please contact me if you are interested in a Longview, WA turning club.

Dave Smith

Entropy poster boy in Longview, WA.
    Dave, I may be a few years late but I saw your post and wondered if you ever had any luck in our area? I live in Kelso and am putting a shop together.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Our chapter, which has grown to about 120 participants, is too far to be very useful to you, but we fully support your effort. We'd love to have you visit and share ideas and hope good things come from this"

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

You might try checking out the Southwest Washington Woodturners
    (http://www.southwestwashingtonwoodturners.com/)

It is a new club and I have not attended any of their meetings, but it might be worth checking out.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Ronald Fox

Webmaster - Willamette Valley Woodturners (Salem, OR)
    www.willamettevalleywoodturners.com
    Webmaster -Oregon Woodturning Symposium (Salem, OR)
    www.oregonwoodturningsymposium.com