Thread: Question for Restorers of Old Arn

Question for Restorers of Old Arn

As previously posted I am restoring a DeWalt MBF RAS. I just came in from using my handheld grinder w/a wire brush on the base and nearly wore the motor and my arm off. My questions, before doing something dumb, are:

1 - Can I use a paint stripper/remover on the base before taking the wire brush to it?
    2 - Can I use the wire brushes/paint stripper (remover) on the arm or just clean it up and apply the primer over it?
    3 - I have to use the wire brush on yoke and and motor because they are in bad shape, but can I also use paint stripper/remover on them?

Thanks for any assistance.

Orlando

Some paint strippers cannot be used on nonferrous metals so if you go the stripper route check the product to make sure of the compatibility.
    I am a firm believer in paint strippers when it comes to the choice of hard manual labor or better living through chemistry.
    If it sticks to a magnet you are safe, if not, I am sure that there is something out there that you can use.
    Paint strippers can be nasty so heed safety warnings.
    I use liquid dishwasher detergent mixed with water for some paint stripping on parts that can be soaked in liquid.
    Phosphoric acid can be used for removing rust.
    Not sure what works on aluminum oxide other than manual labor.
    David B

Sandblasting is a common method but you must be careful to mask and cover anything you dont want damaged. It sure makes quick work of removing paint though!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I'm refurbing a 12" DeWalt GP (the portable model with the cast iron base) and used mar-hyde Tal-Strip Paint Remover (extra strength) to strip the paint. It works well. I got it from Auto Zone or Advance Auto. They keep it behind the counter here. Used it on the yoke and didn't seem to have any problems.

Be sure to use goggles and chemical gloves. Just a small drop stings pretty badly.

You may have to treat it twice. I used mineral spirits and coarse steel wool to remove it, did some sanding with 320 sandpaper, and used acetone for washdown prior to priming and painting. Good luck.

I have had a little experiance refinishing smooth object. Make sure if you do leave any old paint on in spots; feather the edges down lightly. the slightest ridge will show up as well as the slightest scratch. I was wondering if it would be worth more in origional condition instead of refinished. Some antiques are and others aren't.