Thread: Disston D 17

Disston D 17

Hi folks,

Despite living in a certified old tool hell, I did make a nice find yesterday. I spotted this photo on Craig's list. I pegged the saw at the top of the photo for a #12.
    saws.jpg

Since the price was right, 4 of them followed me home. That #12 turned out to be a broken #12 handle on an Atkins #64? saw plate. This is an odd one as the handle looks original from the staining and the fact that the saw plate was not re-drilled. I would not have expected a Disston handle to fit an Atkins saw. I suppose someone may have swapped the medallion, it did not look like a perfect fit. Anyone know if Atkins made a handle just like Disston's #12? I grabbed it as it was straight as an arrow, 8pt rip.

The most interesting saw was a later model D-17 with a 1917-1942 medallion. I did not find much info on this saw, other than it is a combination rip/crosscut saw for timber framers. I have never seen one before, I'm wondering if it is an uncommon saw. Anyone know anything about this it?

I also grabbed a later model 1953-55 D12 10pt crosscut and a Sandvick #271 8pt crosscut.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Put the D-17 on ebay. I doubt you will ever have a use for it and its fairly uncommon. I am sure the D-17 you have pictured will bring $100 or more if its good and straight and the rest of the blade is as nice as it is around the etch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    Put the D-17 on ebay. I doubt you will ever have a use for it and its fairly uncommon. I am sure the D-17 you have pictured will bring $100 or more if its good and straight and the rest of the blade is as nice as it is around the etch.
    Agree. Sell it to a collector who doesn't care that they neither rip nor crosscut very well. That's why they are rare.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks,

I probably will sell it. There is a slight kink down near the toe, and the deep gullets are flat bottomed from sharpening with a square file. Most of the finish on the handle is shot, and what remains in alligatored. It might finance another coveted old tool though!

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder View Post
    Thanks,

I probably will sell it. There is a slight kink down near the toe, and the deep gullets are flat bottomed from sharpening with a square file. Most of the finish on the handle is shot, and what remains in alligatored. It might finance another coveted old tool though!

Jonathan
    I'll take it off yer hands for ya. I'll even send you some new old tools to play witn

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder View Post
    Despite living in a certified old tool hell, I did make a nice find yesterday.
    Hey Jonathan,

Since I live in the very same old tool hell, I just thought I would say "nice find!'

Dan

Hi Dan,

Nice to see another Alaskan on the Creek! I gather the old tool scene is just as bad in Valley as in town huh?

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

Yeah, the old tools are very few and far between out here too - actually worse than in Anchorage - if that is possible.

Since I started following the Neander path about four years ago, I am always on the hunt for old tools. I have only managed to find a very small number locally, and the majority of my stuff is from outside - either eBay or trips back east. I haven't actually tallied it up, but I would guess that my local finds only account for about 5% of my total. Sheesh, how much HAVE I paid for shipping??

Dan