Thread: Incra router bit sets

Incra router bit sets

I've searched here and gotten some information. I see by searching the net that there are 6 piece sets from Amana and Whiteside, and 8 piece sets from Infinity, Freud, and CMT. The difference is that the 6 piece set doesn't have the 2 smallest dovetail bits (1/4 and 3/8). Are these used often?, or do they collect dust? I will primarily be using for drawer boxes at first, but could decide to do some jewelry boxes later on.
    It may not make much difference, as Amana and Whiteside are the only 2 major players with 6 piece sets, and I can't for the life of me get a price on the Amana.
    I'd say my front runners are the Infinity 8 pc. at 100.00 direct purchase from Infinity, and the Whiteside 6 pc. at 79.20 after SMC discount from Holbren. The 8 bit set is about 70 cents cheaper per bit...not a big deal either way. Anyone have a preference, or another brand I should look at? TIA Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I got the 8 piece CMT set from Amazon with the 45% off deal they cost me 80 and change including the dremel purchase so essentially 65 bucks if I can find someone to buy the dremel on ebay or something LOL I was contemplating the Whitesides but I want to make some jewelery boxes for Christmas gifts so for the price the CMT bits were a no brainer for me.

I think someone said the deal ends Sunday for the 45% off at Amazon so you have about 24 more hours to decide!

Thanks Jimmy. Yes, I had already checked that out. Came out to about 77.00 IIRC, free shipping and all. I'm not convinced CMT is what I want, and I really am not ready to do this this weekend. But it did help spur this question!! Actually, I think I did it with the Freud bits. From the search I did here at the creek, I'm leaning toward the Infinity bits, with the Whiteside a close second, and maybe find the 2 smaller dovetails to supplement later on when/if I decide to do the jewelery boxes where they would be needed, and the Freud is close after the Whiteside at the moment. Thanks for making sure I knew about the sale! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Anytime! also I don't know how good they are but Sommerfeld has an 8 piece set for 69 dollars. Nice price there but no idea of the quality. I recommend Holbren for the Whitesides, have had real good experience shopping with them. Purchased a roundover and straight set from them and they accidentally shipped a cove set instead of the roundover. They told me to keep the coves and shipped me out a roundover set free of charge! Great service from them!

I ordered the Freud set from amazon so I could get my dremel engraver. Total price was $76.33. No opinion of them yet since delivery is 2 weeks out and the incra to use them with is 4 weeks out.

Don't buy the MLCS bits. They didn't work well for me. The dovetail bits were undersized and some staight bits were over (not so bad) sized. When the bits are under sized you have to make two passes and jog the fencce over 4-5 thousandths. to make the fit correct.
    I have since purchased some of the whitesides...they were perfect first time.

now you have all had your bit sets for a while...

Thought I would check in and see how you are all getting on with your respective purchases. I am about to make a similar jump for a set, and wanted to hear any feedback you all had on your experiences so far.

thanks

Mike

I held off for now. Decided it will be a while before I really need them. I can use the money for more pressing items.
    As a heads up, I have found out that to do through dovetails with the Incra in 1/2" material, using a 1/2" dovetail bit, I need a 10 degree bit, not the 14 degree bit that is in the sets!! I thought that was odd. I'll have to verify what thickness material I will use for drawer sides and verify the right bit is in the kit before I purchase. The 1/2" 14 degree bit is what is needed for 1/2" material doing half blinds. That is what comes in the kits, and what I got at Woodcraft to play with on scrap material for my learning curve. Now to take the time to look through the book for 3/8" and 5/16" material to verify! Jim.

I have the Whiteside 6 bit set, and to be honest, I have never missed the other 2 bits.