Thread: Mockernut Hickory

Mockernut Hickory

Hey, you midwesterners, do you know anything about mockernut hickory? What might I expect when I turn it? It is free wood so is worth turning, I think. I was visiting friends in Iowa when a storm blew down one of those trees near their house. When it was bucked up I brought a few pieces of it back home with me. I've halved the short logs and sealed them and am now curious about this wood. In a day or two I will rough-turn a couple of pieces and see if I can get a hint of what a finished bowl will look like, that is if I have any success in drying the rough-turned blanks. I will also probably do at least one finished green turning and see how the wood reacts and warps and/or cracks at that stage. This wood is new to me so any of you that know it are welcome to advise me.

Don from Eugene, OR

P.S. Robo hippy are you reading this?

Mockernut hickory (carya tomentosa) is like all the other hickorys. It is OK to turn when green. It gets very hard when dry. It moves alot when drying and with relative humidity after drying. It also tends to crack sometimes long after being worked.

Stan

I turned some what I believe to be mockernut and it turned like a gem when wet. Some pieces dried out a little and they are no fun to deal with. So if its green gor for it, if its dry, it will heat your home very well.

Yup, Don, I am reading. I never heart of mocknut hickory, while I was living back in Missery.
    robo hippy