Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikon Lathe on sale

Rikon Lathe on sale

Hello,
    For those of you like myself who have been looking for a good deal to get into turning, I found the Rikon lathe on sale at woodcraft today for $199.00. I hope this helps with any decision making. I was almost certain I would go for the new Jet 1220 but getting the Rikon would save me enough for some other accessories like a chuck, a stand, or an extension. I know the reviews for the Rikon are mixed, but 50 bucks off makes it a pretty decent option. What do you think?

Here's the link:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5508

Richard, that sounds good to me. I have really enjoyed my Rikon and have not had problems. As you said, some people have said they did not like their Rikon mini but I think many SMC memebers are happy with them. I think that is a pretty good deal and the extra savings would allow for other items.
    Ben

I just bought one and I like it a lot.

Blog Entries
    That has been my decision. I was over Woodcraft last week and got the low down on the lathe. The price is good until the end of October. So, I'm cleaning up the shop and making a space for it. Even going to make plans for the extension so my son can do bat's like he wants.

I was going to build a stand for it all, but decided not to cram anything more into the shop, so I'm going to put it here. Plenty of space and room to make an accessories holder/box/thingy.

This is where it is going, but not allowed to do it until the whole shop gets cleaned up.

Oh, and I can't put it in until I finish this bathroom cabinet I started and have not finished:

"bubbles" is the motif, I'll be putting Blue Mirrored acrylic behind the doors.

WTH!! This is not the f-word forum, please no pictures of obscene materials such as cabinets!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Nice work though, I like the work you did on it. Atleast you are trying to get it out of the way so you can turn!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Yes I also have the Rikon and love it! I had a problem initially but Rikon tech support was excellent in their responsiveness.

I missed this sale by a few weeks as well as the Wolverine Sharpening System which is also on sale now for anyone interested.

I highly recommend both products...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post
    Nice work though, I like the work you did on it. Atleast you are trying to get it out of the way so you can turn!!
    There seems to be a change of plans on that cabinet. Not it gets painted white before the finishing up. She also wants a 'matching' toilet tissue dispenser. UGH.

I bought my Rikon over a year ago and have used the daylights out of it. I have not had one problem with it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Almost a year for me with the Rikon and no problems (other than not being mustard colored and having a 20" swing ).
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Shop is not cleaned up, the bathroom cabinet is not finished and yet somehow this Rikon lathe has made it to my house. hmmm.... what to do, what to do...

Here is a pic with my youngest son with the new toy.

Richard,
    Well, since the lathe had arrived, I betting the cabinet and shop cleaning will be waiting a while.
    Happy Turning,
    Jerry

Thanks for all the replies! I make signs and banners as a side business. I only make enough for tools and other toys. When I finish my current order for yard signs I'll be going to Woodcraft to pick up my first lathe. I may have enough for the grinder, wolverine, and HF chisels! At the current price I think the Rikon is the one. However, I still can't get the new Jet 1220 off my mind! No matter what I get, there's always gonna be something bigger, better, and unfortunately more expensive.

Jon, congrats on your Jet! Let me know how it performs after you get it running, ok?

Blog Entries
    Nice gloat John, I would recommend a bench or a stand to put that lather on, turning from the prone position could be tough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Can someone clue me in on why all of the small lathes are going on sale for these really cheap prices? Amazon has the Delta Midi on for $139.99. Did the manufactures get together and decide that if they lower the price on the lathes they will make a fortune on selling accessories? Less than a month ago several of the small lathes went on sale, and now the prices are $20 less than back then. At a $139.99 I am thinking about buying an extra just for parts and backup. If I did not have a buffing system I would buy one just for use as a buffer.

Any Ideas?

Marvin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sherman View Post
    Nice gloat John, I would recommend a bench or a stand to put that lather on, turning from the prone position could be tough.
    Tom,

Is this any better .