Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross-cut sled with Tip Preventer

Lightbulb Cross-cut sled with Tip Preventer

Hi All,

Got my first crack at an avatar up. I need to get a better picture with a smile though. Because that's what I'm usually wearing when down in the workroom.

Anyway, I finished up round 1 of my new crosscut sled and thought I would share it. As I mentioned before I took various ideas and pictures that I found at the Creek here and elsewhere.

I did add a little extra that I came up with all by myself. I'm sure it's not original but I haven't seen it anywhere else. One of the problems that I read about before building my first sled is that it tends to tip off the end of the table if you let go of it at the end of the cut.

The first sled I built (from plans in a magazine) was made out of MDF. A LOT of MDF. The idea was to put tons of weight at the back end to prevent tipping. Needless to say this thing is a pig.

So as I was finishing this sled I noticed that it wanted to tip off the table. Hmmmm... (brain at work)...(a brain that is missing a some of the engineer genes that a lot of woodworkers have ).

AAAHHHAAA!! I'll add a latch that uses the table to prevent tipping.

As you can see in the pictures below I added a small L shaped piece of oak on a bolt with a knob to tighten it. After placing the sled on the table simply swing the latch down so it rides just under the table (doesn't actually touch it). As you can see in the last picture, even with the sled hanging way off the end of the table it won't fall off.

Stage 2 will be to add some type of clamping system to the sled. Haven't thought it through yet but it will probably include some T-Track. I also want to add in the capability of holding and sawing the wood at an angle.

Thanks for letting show off my beginner's work.

Jeff

Pictures are too large. I'll post modified ones in a minute.

Here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    Here they are.

Jeff,

Nice job! I made a similar "L" shaped braket on my 1st sled many moon ago when I didn't have an outfeed table. (maybe your next project?) Your stop block worked out nicely!

Dave

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Jeff,

That looks like fine furniture rather than a jig. It would displayed in my living room rather than down in the shop.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Well done, Jeff! I used to have one for the old Delta, but need to make a new one for the BW. What did you use for the guide slides?

And Tyler, I guess it wouldn't surprise me if you had a "sled" in your living room! And a "quad-four" in the kitchen and the HD sitting in your bedroom! Just don't know 'bout them guys in MN!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    John,

I'm celebrating the art of woodworking by displaying the tools of the craftsman as well as the product. Great conversation starter.

OT: I may stop by to see your Bridgewood. My baby is in her last year at Millwaukee School of Engineering and I fly by Mad City Several times a year. I'll PM you.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell

OT: I may stop by to see your Bridgewood. My baby is in her last year at Millwaukee School of Engineering and I fly by Mad City Several times a year. I'll PM you.
    Cool! Definitely pop me a message (or email). BUT, I'm NOT taking down my Badger or Pack banners!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jeff, nice lookn' sled.

Great pics Jeff. Everytime I see a sled post I get reminded that I haven't built mine yet.
    Jim

Thumbs up

Jeff
    The comment ought to be Slick looking sled.
    Well anyway - very nice.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

*Speaking in the voice of my 16 yr old nephew*.......Dude your shop is like waaaaaaaaay tooo clean man!! Mine looks like a fight took place in there!! har har

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz
    *Speaking in the voice of my 16 yr old nephew*.......Dude your shop is like waaaaaaaaay tooo clean man!! Mine looks like a fight took place in there!! har har

Jim
    It's still very, very new. Give it a bit of time and some projects and it may look different. Then again I do tend to sweep up with the dust collector fairly often. Keeps me from tracking sawdust upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Well done, Jeff! I used to have one for the old Delta, but need to make a new one for the BW. What did you use for the guide slides?
    John,

I used the same white oak that I used for the fences and the box. Then I used MinWax paste wax on the entire thing. Really slides nice!

I was going the use the fence clamping trick that I saw in the video at Tauton's site to get the fence square with the blade, but turned out it was right on the money the first time. Made my day.

Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Jeff,

That looks like fine furniture rather than a jig. It would displayed in my living room rather than down in the shop.
    <font size=+1>Tyler, </font><font size=+2>Tyler, </font><font size=+3>Tyler!!!!</font>

You are SUCH a NUT..!!!! You are the coolest!!!!! Thanks for all the smiles that you bring to me and the forum.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.