Thread: stereo speaker Q?

stereo speaker Q?

can a person glue the magnet back on a stereo speaker to get it to work again?
    I have a Radio Shack Stack and the magnet came off one of the speakers. I asked the R.S. dealer but didn't get anywhere (it's past warranty ,but I knew that)
    Im just not sure if a person can It seems like you could But is there a certain type of adhesive that needs to be used?
    Just seems a shame to pitch the speaker when all thats wrong is the magnet came off.

If the cone and voice coil are still intact and there are no issues with separation then go ahead and try it. It will probably work, but use a good epoxy.

The magnet needs to be precisely positioned, though. The voice coil goes into a cutout ring in the magnet and the clearance on all sides should be uniform to keep distortion down. It's worth a try - you can't really break a broken speaker, right?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

What Jason said. Look closely for placing it back on. There are probably some signs of how it was on to begin with, try to align that up so the coil is aligned properly. And be very, very careful. Speaker coils are pretty fragile! They will bend easily if hit wrong while trying to place the magnet back on...If this happens, it's gone. And if the frame of the speaker is metal, the magnet is going to draw itself to the speaker when it gets close...this is when you will have problems with the coil. If possible, manipulate the speaker cone from behind so that the coil will not touch the magnet when you place the magnet back on the basket. Let up slowly on the cone to see if the coil drops into place in the magnet. Move the done in and out gently. If there is a scratchy sound, the coil is rubbing, and it's not going to work. I've played with doing this a couple times, was never successful.
    I'm not familiar with the "Stack" speaker. Could the individual bad speaker be replaced with a new one? It would keep you from having to replace everything. Contact their service department for replacement model speaker element.
    I tried to find something on the speaker, but my first search didn't reveal anything. Maybe a picture? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

speaker

Thanks
    Sorry I don't have a camera Basically tho all it is ,is a speaker inside a large cabinet. Yes I could get another speaker but when I was looking at them they cost 65.00 at a min. all the way to 200.00 WOW

I was thinking more of a factory replacement element from Radio Shack service/parts. That way you only need to buy 1, and it would match acoustically. Might still be in the 65.00 range depending on size, but surely that's cheaper than a new set of speakers. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I was thinking more of a factory replacement element from Radio Shack service/parts. That way you only need to buy 1, and it would match acoustically. Might still be in the 65.00 range depending on size, but surely that's cheaper than a new set of speakers. Jim.
    I went in to a radio shack a couple of weeks ago looking for equipment to install an alarm on my shop. They only sell security cameras now....no more alarm sytems. I also noticed that the stereo equipment was just a couple of really cheap never-heard-of brand boomboxes. Seems like they are mostly a cell-phone,gadget outlet now. They did have some electronic stuff , but not near the amount I remember. I built my first set of speakers with woofers, mid, tweeters and crossovers from radioshack back in '78. At that time , they had several ranges of speaker drivers.....I dont think thats the case now. Sadly
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.