Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Xenetech Files?

What to do with Xenetech Files?

We have a Xenetech rotary engraving machine (XOT 13x13) and it's got a load of files on it all stored in .xot formats (I think that's what it was). Any ideas on how to get the mass of them in useable files for the laser? It's too many to open each one and "export as .eps".

I haven't tried opening one in Corel yet, as the machine has no USB ports or CD-RW. It only has a CD-ROM and 3 1/2" disc, but my new computer doesn't have a drive to read that. I'll work that out later, but was just curious is anyone knew if you can import them into Corel or any other way to get that mass of files into our library?

I rarely access them, but from time to time, I'll pull one up to get a font size off of, or some spacing information.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Many of the manufacturers of equipment such as rotary engravers use a proprietary format for their files. I have the same problem with jobs created on my plotter design software. It allows exporting as .eps, .ai etc. but no other program can import them and I'm sure the same applies to XOT. You could try importing to Corel using the "all file formats" filter but I doubt it will work. More likely you'll be stuck exporting them from Xenetech one at a time.

Without drive compatibility you might try e-mailing the files to yourself if you have e-mail on both machines. Also, CDRWs are cheap, you can easily replace that CD-ROM with one but make sure you get one compatible with the operating system on that computer if it's an old one. There are also USB cards available.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of Joe. It's not connected to the internet and is running Windows 95 (yeah, thanks for that Xenetech, can't upgrade the computer system without upgrading the control unit at a cost of $6000).

Upgrading that computer so it'll do anything is probably going to be tough. Maybe not, who knows?

I've probably used the files on it three times in a year, and that was all just to save some time. I guess worst case is I just forget they exist and move on.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

95 is hard, 98 would be easier to find hardware for. is there a Fry's Electronics near you?

They are the best source for oddball hardware. If nothing else they have 3.5" floppy drives for about $15, if your newer PC has an empty bay.

Sometimes moving on is best. When I upgraded to the latest version of software for my plotter I lost 8 years worth of files. It's not that bad.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yes, .xot are Xenetech files. I use them along with other file types on my xenetech laser. I don't know anyting about rotary files.

Aleta

No Fry's around here. We're thinking of selling the rotary machine and wanted to have access to the files just in case.

Scott
    You may be able to laser directly from the Xenetech software. We have Xenetech and an Epilog laser and I laser from Xenetech all the time. Works great!!

Xenetech has their new Viper software (free download) that is supposed to work on all their current machines, the catch is that it only runs on Vista.

I would guess they have no intention of fixing their current driver software bug since I haven't heard anything from them in months. December will be a year we have had our Xenetech XLT1325 and I am still contending with the printing bug

I expect the new Viper software will provide the ability to use all of your files between various machines but I don't know this for a fact.

Kelly, that won't work because the Universal Laser we have runs off of job control software that's run from the computer. Without that, it won't work. So there's no way to "print" from the Windows 95 machine and get it into the Job Control software that runs the Universal on the other machine. The new Universal's work a little different than the normal "Print driver" setup that's commonly used by some manufacturers.

Keith, that will fix the problem, however, that's the $6,000 upgrade. Viper is 32 bit, what we have is 16 bit. The 32 bit won't run on what we have, so there's a huge upgrade path just to get it to that point. If I recall correctly, we have to buy the 32 bit software as well as the Viper system.

I haven't run a single job on it since the laser came through the door, so it's hardly worth the $6000 to update it.

Keith - Viper software is not exclusive to vista. What printing bug are you dealing with??

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Xenetech has their new Viper software (free download) that is supposed to work on all their current machines, the catch is that it only runs on Vista....
    I expect the new Viper software will provide the ability to use all of your files between various machines but I don't know this for a fact..
    Keith,

To clarify,the VCS (Viper Control System) upgrade that is about to be released will run on any 32bit system (not just Vista). Actually, a few small Vista "issues" is what has been holding up the release. It is an upgrade only for Viper hardware owners. Scott is right, he'd still need to upgrade to Viper hardware before being able to take advantage of VCS.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Finally got around to getting a USB 3 1/2" floopy so I can get the old files into my newer computer.

Did my first one, opened up an XOT file in Xenetech, it was simple text, and I exported it as an EPS file. It gave me no output options, so I just saved it and took it over to X3.

The photo below is what the result was. Anyone know what's causing this craziness? It was simple, smooth text that I just input and cut last week on the Xenetech.

It also came over super tiny. These letters were 3/8" tall in Xenetech and came over about .080".

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott,

This is what I get by using copy (Xenetech) and paste (Corel)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tony, I don't have that option. The Xenetech files are on a Windows 95 machine, and my Corel is on a new computer. The new computer won't take the Xenetech control parts without a Xenetech update that's $$$$$$, and the old machine won't run Corel (X3), since it's so old.

I've bought a external floppy drive to be able to get some files off the old machine into Corel, so I can use them for reference with the laser or vinyl plotter.

Steve,

Install XGW on your new computer. It will have a 21 day trial where you can do anything you want/need. With that installed, copy/paste as suggested by Tony will be the best solution. I think that even after the 21 day trial you can still open a file (yes, from an older system) and copy into clipboard. All this assumes you have no unlocks left on the Xenetech support database.

Let me know if you need me to send you an installation CD.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech