Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with Xenetech Files?

Either one of you know why it does this? Why is the exported EPS file not a clean, useable file?

Cutting and pasting isn't what I'm trying to capture. I have years of signs that my father did in that software, and now, I'm doing work for the same customers and a lot of time I need to know the spacing he used. Cutting and pasting will just dump it until free space in Corel, which removes all the data I needed to get. Did I say that right? Also, there's a font he used a lot called Gothic 97 which I can't seem to replicate with anything out there. I've tried whatthefont.com and other sites and I can't match it close enough. So I'd like to be able to create some Gothic 97 text on there and pull it into the laser.

Right now, I just fire the old machine up and find the file and pull dimensions off of it. I'd much rather being able to get those files open in Corel. It's years of files all on a very old machine with no eps backup.

I'd like to, over time, when I have free moments, to pull files off and save them so they aren't lost forever.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Either one of you know why it does this? Why is the exported EPS file not a clean, useable file?
    Steve,
    Yes I know why, but it would do no good to explain it. Between the two of us, Tony & I have a few decades of using the Xenetech software and for most of that time exchanging files with CorelDRAW.
    So while we know copy/paste is the best solution, if you want alternatives, then the best would be .WMF &/or PLT. Both of those formats import seamlessly(well that may be a stretch) into CorelDRAW.
    On the other hand, if your objective is to get those files into CorelDRAW with their text still editable, its not going to happen.

HTH,
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Thanks Roy, I appreciate both of you guys input.

I wasn't hoping to get editable text into Corel. Here's the situation, I have several office directories that have 100's of names in them, all done on the Xenetech. Well, I can't match the font (Gothic 97, which is wayyyy different than any Gothic font I can locate), so it's causing me problems in trying to add new strips made on the laser, as they don't match the 100's that are already there.

My hope was to be able to do the text in Xenetech's software, export it to Corel as eps (or anything else) and curves, and go from there. I did try the wmf yesterday and that was better, but still all screwed up.

I guess I was dreaming to think getting anything out of the Xenetech would be anything other than a pain. That's why we don't own a Xenetech laser.

I do appreciate your input, thanks for the help.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott,

One solution to your problem might be solved by removing your hard drive from old computer and installing it on new one or if compatabillity is issue have computer geek transfer data (complete Xenetech directory with files) to your new system. Once you have access to previously saved work files on new computer where you have Corel installed than copy/paste will work for you.
    As for Gothic97 font, there was something I did not like about it so I reinstalled old gothic so my files would not be affected with whatever difference was between to fonts. If I remember correctly kerning may have been the issue.

Thanks guys, I finally got around to installing the Xenetech software on my newer PC used for the laser. I am able to do just as you guys said, to cut and paste from there into Corel.

Hopefully after the 21 day trial period, I'll still be able to do that as suggested by Roy. If that works then I do think this problem will be resolved, as I can bring all the files over, open then in Xenetech to get spacing and layout information and then cut and paste if it's something I can't match.

One problem I have had in the past is that the rotary leaves round corners on letters and the laser puts in square corners, but in messing with this, I found the tool for making the line ends and intersections rounded, which makes the work on the laser look just like rotary. Now I can happily match those old rotary done signs!

Thanks for all the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Scott,

Now that you have XGW software on your new computer your you are in good shape.
    Trial period of 21 days effects the drawing tools unless Xenetech has made a changed that to disable all of the software. It used to be that basic functions will work after 21 days trial but drawing tools would be gone till registration is obtained.

To get rounded look on text here is what you do.
    1. Select all - F6
    2. On the left side at the bottom check "Cutter Size D" and enter as if you will us cutter to engrave.
    3. Under "Line/Group" change from "Thin Line" to "Normal Line"

Now you will have rounded text that will laser as such.
    One more thing you can do is change your text in Xenetech to true type fonts if you wish by selecting all lines than press ALT + F12 and your windows font folder will open and you can pick the one you like. Now you can Copy/Paste to Corel.

Scott, another option you have is to laser your files from Xenetech software and there is no need to bring your files into Corel at all. I do that all the time with control panel layouts where it is simpler to setup with Xenetech than Corel. My suggestion to you is if you are registred user of Xenetech software to call them and get your registration for your new computer so you can use the software on it in full capacity.