Thread: Workbench Progress

Workbench Progress

Here's the progress on my workbench. The base is red oak. The top is a torsion box with a replaceable hardboard top. The tooltray is purpleheart-the clamps are there because I was in the process of gluing the back on when I took the pictures. The to-be-added sides and front will be oak. I don't know if this is a bad idea, but I've been saturating the hardboard with BLO and plan on waxing it after it's dried in order to prevent glue from sticking to it. The current stretchers are stand-ins until I get some satisfactory oak pieces. They are held in place with tusk tenons so that I can easily disassemble the bench should I need to. The quality isn't comparable to what gets posted on here, but it's been a great learning experience so far, and has taught me a number of lessons. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry about the pathetic picture quality. I really need to get a new digital camera and stop using my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like your tusk tenon's. What is the dimmensions of them and how did you go about making the tusks? I noticed it is open on the bottom.
    Looks great, I can empathize with you on the pics. I have been itching to post pics of my bench in progress but lack the camera. I keep putting the cash into tools instead!
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Thanbk you. I think that I made them rather different from the normal style. The through tenons have wedge shaped dados (if that would be the proper word) that the tusks slide into, so they go on the outside of the piece instead of inside. Seems to work rather well for now, and I don't think I have to put a stretcher in the front which is what I was trying to avoid.

Is there anything that is a mistake that you guys see, glaring or otherwise? This is the largest project I've undertaken, and any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I posted this in the Neaderthal forum because I am most interested in old tools, and I did cut most of the hardwoods with hand saws and used planes for getting the dimensions right. The sheet goods were cut on the table saw.
    Last edited by Alex Carrera; 10-05-2007 at 1:12 PM.

The way I figure, if the base doesn't rack, you haven't made any mistakes.

I don't know if this is something that can be done at your stage of building your bench, but I've become a fan of putting the front edge of the top flush with the front legs, which allows you to use the front surface of the front legs as a clamping surface.

Those are the pictures from your camera phone?!!?? I need to get a new phone.

I think you are doing good (better than me who still needs a real workbench ) Perhaps a picture from further back.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.