Thread: "Mobile" mobile base

"Mobile" mobile base

Bought a Shop Fox mobile base with the Griz G1023 table saw but this base has two fixed casters, and is a bear to move around . Tried to get two replacement corners designed for the swivel casters but no dice...so much for their support! But, they did replace two swivel casters that they knew had been a problem though. I need to reread the post on them listening to customers needs. Since none of the casters lock I assume the SF is designed to be more stable by having two casters fixed, but I prefer to be in control of such things in my shop. If I want a mobile base, I want a mobile base!
    Anyone know of a heavy duty "mobile" mobile base? Other than finding another manufacturer, I am left with buying the steel and making my own, or I guess I could weld the holes closed and re-drill, cleanup prime and re-paint. Wonder if they sell touch-up paint?

I am too looking for base ideas. What way to go.........hmmmm. I was wondering about the HTC base like the one here. For $165 delivered, it's hard to think of going another route.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223L9/...9&linkCode=asn

But seeing some custom built ones around the various forums, makes me wonder about having the welder here at work do some side work for me.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Try HTC

I got two SF mobile bases with my new Griz 8" jointer and 17" bandsaw. I would say the bases are as bad as the machinery is good. The swivel units are the problem--they don't swivel. Plus the instructions are incorrect--when I called Grizzly CS they admitted as much (the alignment of the bolts will jamb the swivels). However, even reversing the bolt direction to avoid that problem is not much help--part of the problem is the amazing amount of flex the unit has at the corners when the load comes on it (watch as you unscrew the footpads) and the truly crappy swiveling system in the casters. Griz CS is sending me two new swivel casters which I will try before seeing if they'll take them back. If not I'll put them under something light or replace all the casters with something like this: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_47728_47728

FWW ran a review of mobile bases awhile back-I think you have to subscribe to read the PDF (not a bad idea anyway, the online subscription is cheap and you get all their content). The HTC fixed base was best, the General universal was the best value, the HTC universal was pretty good too. My PM 66 has a PM mobile base which is loosely based on the HTC design without the footlock--it weighs 600lbs and I can move it around the shop with two fingers. It doesn't lock down very well, but so far that hasn't been a problem.

When I asked the Grizzly guys about the longer table (I was thinking about the 1023 with 52" rails before I stumbled across the PM on CL) they said use the standard mobile base and just lift and steer from the extension side, so you don't technically need a full-width mobile base.

It's no help to you, however since you can weld......

I always make my own bases, with a floor clearance of 1/2". I use two fixed, and two swivel casters, and add a couple of threaded feet to eliminate movement when I've moved the machine to the location I want.

Regards, Rod.

Check out this site. I copied his mobile base for a few of my machines and it works well. http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/index.html

I've been on the drawing board the past few nights trying to solve the mobile base for a heavy cabinet saw problem. Yes I can move my saw on it's Delta extended base but with 2 fixed wheels and 1 caster it goes where it wants more than where I want it to go. I would like to be able to push it a few inches in any direction as I work around my small shop. I want 4 real casters that swivel and move easily. I have a ways to go with the design but I'm looking at some 4 inch channel. I'm looking at removing the plinth from the bottom of my Unisaw and replacing it with a new mobile base and heavy casters laid out in a 2 foot by 4 foot rectangle. As an old timer I like my machines level and there will be heavy jack screws at each corner. On paper the idea is starting to look promising.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    I've been on the drawing board the past few nights trying to solve the mobile base for a heavy cabinet saw problem. Yes I can move my saw on it's Delta extended base but with 2 fixed wheels and 1 caster it goes where it wants more than where I want it to go. I would like to be able to push it a few inches in any direction as I work around my small shop. I want 4 real casters that swivel and move easily. I have a ways to go with the design but I'm looking at some 4 inch channel. I'm looking at removing the plinth from the bottom of my Unisaw and replacing it with a new mobile base and heavy casters laid out in a 2 foot by 4 foot rectangle. As an old timer I like my machines level and there will be heavy jack screws at each corner. On paper the idea is starting to look promising.

John - keep us posted on this - I am in the same camp - paper doodles and dreams yet the tools are still scraping across the floor with me huffing and puffing when I want to move them (which is seldom as it's such a chore).

Lewis

A friend of mine is a machinist/mechanical engineer. He modified a stock HTC base for me (holding up my PM66)by welding on an extension and then drilling and tapping bolt holes in the 4 corners. We used 1/2 inch bolts into the tapped holes as jackscrews to level the base.
    Wood'N'Scout

I design in CAD - used to be an engineer. Can CAD files (DXF) be posted here?

Blog Entries
    Any base will need a brake or riser to deal with any swivel point. My flip top cabinet has four swivel with two locking. I chok the other two. I don't know that I'd be comfortable with this on a TS. Most rely on two fixed casters and feet or risers at the other end.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    I design in CAD - used to be an engineer. Can CAD files (DXF) be posted here?
    Yes they can. You'll find the size limitations under the "Manage Attchements" tool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    A friend of mine is a machinist/mechanical engineer. He modified a stock HTC base for me (holding up my PM66)by welding on an extension and then drilling and tapping bolt holes in the 4 corners. We used 1/2 inch bolts into the tapped holes as jackscrews to level the base.
    Steve - how many levelling points do you have ? I have been wondering if I should go with 4 or 6 - the extension table weighs very little but I have been thinking if I don't put 4 under the saw itself, I might get sagging. Then again I have been thinking about using 2x3x1/8 box steel - that could probably hold a car - haha.

Lewis

I have a number of shopfox bases and when I have a problem with the wheels I replace them with 3" locking wheels from Hartvilletools http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11881. Should have ordered some more before the price went up.

Gary

He put 4 jackscrews (bolts) in the 4 corners. The bolts were threaded thru the angle iron, a ordinary nut was screwed on and then the PM66 was leveled. Once level was achieved the nut was back up and tightened against the angle iron. This locked the bolt and backed up the threading against the angle iron.

So far no sagging.
    Wood'N'Scout

I stand corrected!

In a previous reply I maligned my Shop Fox mobile bases. Well, I wuz wrong!

Yesterday at Demo Daze at Woodcraft, they had a bunch of machines out front--one was on a SF base which I pushed around and thought, hmmm, this thing rolls ok--why don't mine? Also noticed that they had the wheels out to the SIDE of the machine as opposed to INLINE with the machine direction (sort of like outriggers). I had set mine up inline per the Grizzly documentation. Happened to get the replacement casters from Grizzly the same day. Just now finished replacing the swivel casters with the replacements (to be frank they seem identical to the ones I took off) and, perhaps more important, relocating them to the outboard position. Did the bandsaw and it pushes great. Not as easy as my PM66, but just fine. So apparently the documentation from Griz is just wrong on at least two vital counts. PM me if you need more details. Now I have to figure out how to prop up the 8" jointer to realign its casters!

John (foot in mouth) Browne