Thread: Lever Cap Screw Quandry

Lever Cap Screw Quandry

Hello everyone, I just bought a Stanley #4 ( type 7 1893-99 ) in really nice condition to add to my user collection. I like the low knob and forward sweeping totes on these earlier Stanleys, and have begun to center my collection around the earlier types, although I know some say that they are not the best types as far as users go. Anyway, the lever cap screw was buggered up at some point in it's 100 plus years. It was seized and would not turn, and I think someone tried some vise-grips or something similar and tried to twist it out, and really messed up the head to the point that it is oval not round, and has to be oriented a certain way to securely hold the lever cap in place.
    I removed the frog and sprayed some Kroil in the screw hole from the back side, let it sit for a bit, then added some gentle heat to the frog, put it in the vise and put a screwdriver in what was left of the slot and the screw backed right out first try, with no damage to threads or the rest of the plane. I tried a screw from a later plane ( #6 Blue Stanley YUK !!!) and it was a bit longer but seemed to be same thread, but would only go in a few turns - seems like the hole is tapered. So it appears I have two options, either hold out for an absolute junker plane that's beyond rehabilitation to salvage one screw from, or go to the hardware store and find a similar style screw in a slightly larger size and drill and tap the frog to the new size. As I said, it's a user, not a mint collector's item.
    So, What would you do?

Steve

determine what thread it is first, then proceed from there, any chance of reworking the head on the screw or affixing a washer under the head. I have a whole box of metal planes setting on the floor in a corner, never use the metals ones except the specialty ones. I have quite a few metal ones I have gotten somewhere or other over the years.

As a non metallic plane user, I have no idea what the numbers mean.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by steve swantee View Post
    Hello everyone, I just bought a Stanley #4 ( type 7 1893-99 ) in really nice condition to add to my user collection. I like the low knob and forward sweeping totes on these earlier Stanleys, and have begun to center my collection around the earlier types, although I know some say that they are not the best types as far as users go. Anyway, the lever cap screw was buggered up at some point in it's 100 plus years. It was seized and would not turn, and I think someone tried some vise-grips or something similar and tried to twist it out, and really messed up the head to the point that it is oval not round, and has to be oriented a certain way to securely hold the lever cap in place.
    I removed the frog and sprayed some Kroil in the screw hole from the back side, let it sit for a bit, then added some gentle heat to the frog, put it in the vise and put a screwdriver in what was left of the slot and the screw backed right out first try, with no damage to threads or the rest of the plane. I tried a screw from a later plane ( #6 Blue Stanley YUK !!!) and it was a bit longer but seemed to be same thread, but would only go in a few turns - seems like the hole is tapered. So it appears I have two options, either hold out for an absolute junker plane that's beyond rehabilitation to salvage one screw from, or go to the hardware store and find a similar style screw in a slightly larger size and drill and tap the frog to the new size. As I said, it's a user, not a mint collector's item.
    So, What would you do?

Steve
    Check with Clint Jones or contact Walt Q at brasscityrecords.com and see if you can get a screw. Identify the plane type first with one of the online type study pages. There are other guys who have parts, so if you call those guys and can't get any luck, ask them who else to call.

You can buy a beater plane, but it will cost more to ship, and you will do a lot of screwing around to find one where you know the screw will fit.

Hi David,

If you PM me your address, I'll send you one.

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie View Post
    Hi David,

If you PM me your address, I'll send you one.

Nic
    You mean Steve, right? I'm up to my butt in "unfettleable" planes - just none of them are 4s or really early types to help out here.

Thanks for the offer Nic, PM sent
    Also, thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions and comments

Steve
    Last edited by steve swantee; 10-05-2007 at 1:41 PM.

Harry I like your new portrait goes well with your neander inclinations.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.