Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a mortise adapter for a drill press?

Blog Entries

Where can I get a mortise adapter for a drill press?

I've seen these a few times in pictures. A piece that attaches to your drill press to make the square cut but the drill press drills through it like a dedicated mortiser. Am I nuts or do these actually exist.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

You can get them from several sources

but are you sure you want to. They are an absolute brute to setup and the results I've seen can be iffy. A dedicated hollow chisel mortiser does not require much space so if you have need of that technology, I would recommend a purchase of a dedicated tool. I'm pretty sure Delta offers one and sears did also.

Ed

If you are not planing on useing it that often then I would suguest one similar to this: http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...6&NTITEM=B2054
    But Ed is right, if you are going to be doing lots then a dedicated mortiser would be best. I have a similar one to the one in the link and it woks quite well. The setup does take a little time but not that dad. The real trick is to make sure the chisel is square to the fence. I test mine on scrap when I first set it up and make sure I won't need the drill for anything else until all the mortises are cut.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. My issue is really space. I have almost none for additional tools. It's not a tool I'd use often but i use the drill feature more. So if it's a PITA I'll just make room for a dedicated one in the future. |Thanks again.

Lowe's is one source for the Delta mortising attachment. It will fit a variety of drill presses.

Brian

Where can I get a mortise...

I've had a Delta dedicated set up for a number of years. It's under the bench when not in use and does a great job without any hassle.

Yea, me too. I have a Jet that I modified . They have come a long ways since I bought mine. Bigger tables, better hold-downs etc.
    Gary

Blog Entries
    I have an add on mortiser set for my drill press. It mounts up in about 5 minutes. It was a cheap china made unit, but once I hand honed the chisels, I got nice mortices. You'll need to build a fence attachment for your drill press table so you can keep the mortice lined up. The first cut is the hardest since it is being cut on all four sides. The next few cuts are much easier. You will need a hold down to pull the chisel out of the board (this also gets easier if the outside of the chisels are polished) The key is getting the chisel square to the fence and the drill bit about the thickness of a dime between the lower lip of the chisel and the back edge of the drill bit.

Harbor freight and other sources may still have them if the Delta unit won't fit your drill press.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    My DP is a PM 2800. Will the ones listed above work on this? If so, I think I will try one. The only usable bench space in my shop is a HF glue lam style bench which is about 4'x2'. Once you set a project on it and a couple tools next to it stuff starts falling on the floor As much as I'd like to have a dedicated mortiser, it would be on the floor in the way most of the time. Thanks again for the info.

Bill, I sent you a pm. I have one that I am not using.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I too have one still in box...it is the delta that did not come with chisels. would like to get it out of the way...

Blog Entries
    hey guys, e-mail me if you still have one you want to get rid of with details. thanks, Sean seantroy@insightbb.com

I also have a delta mortising attachment new in the box if anyone is interested. Bought it a while back for a project that never panned out. I think I might even have a couple of the chisels too.

Don't waste your money. Delta has been giving them away free when your purchase their 17-965 drill press. That's why so many are available.
    You are better off cutting mortises with your router

I have one You could have for the cost of shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I've seen these a few times in pictures. A piece that attaches to your drill press to make the square cut but the drill press drills through it like a dedicated mortiser. Am I nuts or do these actually exist.
    P.M. me if you're interested

Curt