Thread: High speed grinder? what kinda wheel

High speed grinder? what kinda wheel

I have a high speed grinder that has the regular wheels.(gray-silver) Do I need to get different wheels and why? I've made my own jig and seems to work ok. Doe's anyone else use just a regular grinder. I'm using HHS tools and know that heat really does'nt hurt them Thank You

The "regular" wheels that come with many grinders are fine for mower blades, etc., but they will load up with steel too easily for fine sharpening. Invest in some good AO wheels and you'll be much happier over time. Personally, I'm running the Norton 3X in 60 and 100 grit...Hartville Tool often has about the best price on these wheels. (I also use the OneWay balancing system for even better performance)

BTW, Welcome to the 'Creek, Les!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most turners use Aluminum Oxide wheels. Some are white, some are gray, some are blue (these are usually more expensive)... color's not important as long as you get decent quality wheels.

I agree with Norton wheels if you can find them. Good quality. If possible go with a 60 grit (for reshaping) and at least an 80 grit for regular sharpening/honing. 100 or 120 grit would be even better for the latter.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

I just finished installing the Norton 3X wheels and Oneway balancing system on my bench grinder. It made a huge difference.
    FWIW, Hartville had the wheels for $42.99 each. Woodworkers Supply had them at $99.99 each.
    It pays to shop around.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I like the white Aluminum Oxide wheels, 80 grit on one side for reshaping work and a 100 grit on the other for sharpening my turning tools, unless I'm using the Tormek.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Make sure the 3X you get is "K" hardness. The pair that I got from Hartville were too soft; they left grooves after refreshing (not grinding) one gouge. I tried to use the whole 1" width of the wheel already. I have to dress the wheels very often. They didn't have hardness rating on the wheels. I suspect they are not meant for HSS; I returned them. The way they need to be dressed makes them the most expensive wheels to use. The OEM white wheels that came with the Woodcraft grinder hold up better. That was approximately one to two years ago; I don't know what they carry now.

I asked about that in other forums. It was reported that the K wheels (46 & 80 grit) do not have that problem.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/No...e-P101C25.aspx

For $100, I would go with the real SG wheels. They are definitely better than the 3X from Hartville. I have not tried the 3X "K".

Gordon

one big vote for the Norton SG wheels, 80 and 120 grit. very happy with them
    Sascha