Thread: Looking for Cherry Lumber

Looking for Cherry Lumber

I am looking for 500 to 1000 board feet of cherry lumber at a good price. I need mostly 4/4 but would like some 6/4 and even a little 16/4 if it were available. I am starting a furniture building project for my daughter that will probably last for a couple of years. I thought I had a possible source but it didn't work out. I live in Birmingham AL, and I am retired so I can drive 100 to 150 miles if someone knows of a good source.

So, if anyone knows of a sawmill that sells to the public I would appreciate any sources or tips. By the way, I have a planer and joiner so I can work with unplaned wood, just needs to be dried.

thanks

john lawson
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 02-24-2009 at 2:40 PM.

John,

I used to live in Alabama just a few years ago. My parents live in Huntsville, Al and my In-Laws live in Prattville, Al. There are a LOT of sawmills in Alabama and most all of them will sell to you. Seems like I remember seeing a fellow in Leroy, Al selling some cherry, 4/4 and 16/4 cherry and the price was good....air dried..... I belive it is still at this <a href="http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/lumber.pl">location.</a>

Next time I'm in 'Bama....I would like to meet ya. Never met a woodworker that wasn't kind and decent.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

For that quantity, you may want to consider ordering it from a more northern source where most of the cherry comes from. Although I have a local source for nice air-dried, furniture grade cherry (he doesn't ship and is cash only), Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA (as an example) and a number of similar outfits throughout PA and NY state have wonderful cherry for sale. With that quanity you should be able to get a better price than buying off the rack and truck shipping should be reasonable. (Recommend you pick it up at the terminal...residential deliveries are expensive, if even available, depending on the carrier) You can also try woodfinder.com or a google search for sources closer to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    John,

I used to live in Alabama just a few years ago. My parents live in Huntsville, Al and my In-Laws live in Prattville, Al. There are a LOT of sawmills in Alabama and most all of them will sell to you. Seems like I remember seeing a fellow in Leroy, Al selling some cherry, 4/4 and 16/4 cherry and the price was good....air dried..... I belive it is still at this <a href="http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/lumber.pl">location.</a>

Next time I'm in 'Bama....I would like to meet ya. Never met a woodworker that wasn't kind and decent.
    Dennis:

Thanks for the reply. If you are out this way let me know. I would love to have you stop by and meet you.

john

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    For that quantity, you may want to consider ordering it from a more northern source where most of the cherry comes from. Although I have a local source for nice air-dried, furniture grade cherry (he doesn't ship and is cash only), Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA (as an example) and a number of similar outfits throughout PA and NY state have wonderful cherry for sale. With that quanity you should be able to get a better price than buying off the rack and truck shipping should be reasonable. (Recommend you pick it up at the terminal...residential deliveries are expensive, if even available, depending on the carrier) You can also try woodfinder.com or a google search for sources closer to you.
    Jim:

Thanks for the reply, Hearne is a name someone else suggested. I looked at their website and it looked very good.

I'll let you know what I decide to do.

john

John,

If you decide to go mail order, I've had excellent experiences with both www.westpennhardwoods.com and www.niagaralumber.com. Niagara's web site quotes you a price including shipping. With West Penn, you have to call. I think it cost me about $0.65/bf for 200 bf shipped to CT. Your cost will be slightly more, I should think. As Jim mentioned, if you use a mail order source, consider picking the wood up at a terminal. Good luck. Dave.

Give us a try!

John,

Give Curly Woods (Curly Woods) the opportunity to earn your business. We purchase the majority of our Cherry from southeastern PA and I can provide you with very competetive pricing on a shipment of this size. Call me and let me see what we can work out for you. We ship pallets of Cherry lumber to customers in Alabama/Georgia quite often.

Shipping to residence will typically incur at least a $50.00 fee and more often, closer to $100.00 or more, depending upon the freight company. Picking up a shipment at the delivery terminal, is best, but 1000 bf of Cherry is more than the average pickup can handle :-) A 500 bf order of rough sawn Cherry will weight around 1750-1800 lbs with shipping pallet.
    Hearne Hardwoods is also a superior choice. Rick Hearne runs a quality operation.
    Last edited by Mike Mastin; 02-04-2004 at 11:08 PM.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

John,

The OP's search for cherry and this thread was from over 5 years ago. I hope he's found it by now!

I use Niagra

Niagara Lumber: Hardwood Lumber Supplier, Buy Lumber Online I live down state so shiping was not bad. I also order small bundes around 30 BDF. But I have always been happy with what I got.

This thread is 5 years old and some of the info is old (Mike Mastin's site is old and he is no longer doing a Manufacturer's forum).

I'm closing this thread so it drifts back into obscurity. If you have a current need for help in locating cherry, please start a new thread.