Thread: I need the smallest of parts for a new plane my father picked up. Please help.

I need the smallest of parts for a new plane my father picked up. Please help.

My father was at the local flea market last weekend and found a Record 4 1/2plane that was sitting on a table. After a little bit of negotiating I believe he paid $13 for it (darn good deal I 'd say). After a little bit of elbow grease performed by him, the plane has tuned out very nice. One small problem though. He is missing the one small screw that holds the base of the tote secure to the plane body. He measured the threads with his gauge and told me it is 20 tpi (threads per inch). If anyone could possibly help me out in locating one of these screws my father and I would truly appreciate it. Maybe one of you has extra parts like this around and is willing to sell the screw to me or maybe someone can direct me to where I can find one of these screws. I am sure I could go to the local Brafasco and get something that would work but I would like to find the original (or something very close) just to make it look right. I believe the screw is a round headed slot style. I am not sure if the stanley screws will fit but I am willing to bet they do. Here are some pictures of the plane. The pics that are close-ups of the tote show the screw that is needed. I realize this is no Lie Nielson but for $13 it is certainly worth a little TLC. All that is left is to sharpen the cutter and this plane will work beautifully i'm sure (oh, and we still need that screw). I hope someone can help.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

That is a nice looking plane. You've got it looking good. 4 1/2's are a useful size.

As to the missing screw I'm pretty sure one off a Stanley will work. The thread is a #12-20 tpi and is just about impossible to find new (at least I can't find a source). You could probably re-tap the hole with a #12-24 tap and if that doesn't work, drill and tap for a 1/4-20 machine screw.

Good luck!

Kevin,

Check with Walt at brass city. He probably has one that will fit.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Blog Entries
    He is missing the one small screw that holds the base of the tote secure to the plane body. He measured the threads with his gauge and told me it is 20 tpi (threads per inch). If anyone could possibly help me out in locating one of these screws my father and I would truly appreciate it.
    I had this problem with a #5 plane. The thread is the same as the frog screws. In a pinch a spare frog screw can be filed down to a rounded head to do the job. I have a broken plane base I used to hold the screw while filing.
    If you want a used one, there are a lot of places to look. I think Bob Kaune is in Port Angeles, Washington at www.antique-used-tools.com and last time I looked he had these for about $8 and frog screws at $1.50 a pair.

My #5 still has the filed screw on it even though a junker I bought had one on it. Just haven't gotten one of them round tuits to get me to change it.

Good luck,

Jim

Blog Entries
    I need the smallest of parts for a new plane my father picked up.
    This made me think about the smallest part I have ever needed for a plane.

The screw that secures the shoe to the center tower on a Stanley 55.

Turns out the screw that secures the fork for the winged nut to lock the blade is the same thread. Got one off an old junker 45.

I have wondered if there is a listing of hard to find parts and what can be done in a pinch for a substitute if one is needed.

Jim

Stupidity got us into this mess—why can't it get us out?

I don't know if Record is the same as Stanley but check with Bob Kaune at:
    http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm
    for parts.

Ken

Try contacting Lee Valley tools about this one. They could be in a position to help since they use to carry Record planes. They are first rate about helping people with this kind of situation.

Small Part

I see everyone saying that a Stanley may work, I am not sure but, do you know if the screw from the Record would be metric? The planes from Stanley made in England have metric screws. You can order new ones from Stanley and they send both just in case.

Just a thought.

James Davis