Thread: Finish for Traditional All-Wood Handscrews?

Finish for Traditional All-Wood Handscrews?

I am making a pair of traditional handscrews and was wondering what kink of finish to put on them? They will be of Hard Maple. I was thinking boiled linseed oil. What do you all think? Thanks. John.

I'd likely put BLO on them just because I like the look and it helps with stray glue...a little. Of the four I own (commercially bought), two have a film finish and two are just bare wood...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Padgett View Post
    I am making a pair of traditional handscrews and was wondering what kink of finish to put on them? They will be of Hard Maple. I was thinking boiled linseed oil. What do you all think? Thanks. John.
    That'll work. Raw linseed repels glue better. Use only paraffin wax on wood threads, however. Boiled linseed can gum them up.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Hey Bob,
    What are the dimensions of the top small clamp in the pic? and what dia are the threaded handles? been wanting a pair of smaller ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Padgett View Post
    Hey Bob,
    What are the dimensions of the top small clamp in the pic? and what dia are the threaded handles? been wanting a pair of smaller ones too.
    I have 1", 3/4" and 1/2" taps. The little ones are 1/2" and the jaw size is whatever piece of scrap I had on hand.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post
    That'll work. Raw linseed repels glue better. Use only paraffin wax on wood threads, however. Boiled linseed can gum them up.

Bob,

Would you get a difference if you'd use paraffin vs. beeswax as far as the gum up?

Dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Depends on the beeswax. The stuff I get locally is sufficiently hard.