I'm am considering making on offer on a very nice farm near us. It has a wonderful old timberframed bank barn with concrete silo.

I always figured the best shop would be built on a heated slab. But this barn is built well enough that I think I could make a raised floor in the upstairs part (ground level on the high side) and it should be plenty strong enough to handle my machines.

I could run ducting and wiring under the raised floor, and this would provide a smooth level surface as well. Currently the floor is big old oak planks and quite uneven. Eventually I could wall off a section or sections and heat them. The structure underneath is super beefy and in good shape. It was designed to hold the weight of a barn full of hay.

There is an old concrete silo there. aybe 10 or 12' in diameter with 12" thich walls. The tall kind- not the short squat kind. I've always figured these should be good for something. About the best I can think of is to put the air compressor and cyclone in there. Eventually maybe put some floors in and a ladder or spiral stairs to access, and use for storage of, I don't know what.

I have no idea if we'll end up gettign this place- I'm just trying to figure how appropriate it would be for my needs.