Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeWalt DW618 3 base kit on clearance?

DeWalt DW618 3 base kit on clearance?

Hello,
    I was just in Home Depot, and I noticed a DeWalt DW618PK, 3 base (including “D” base) router set on the clearance table. The tool manager told me that the DeWalt guy told him that DeWalt was discontinuing the router. Even though the router was on the clearance table, it was still marked at its regular price of $279. I had to convince the manager that $279 was NOT a clearance price, but the regular price, and after he looked up the SKU number, he realized that I was right. He said that he’d have to check with the store manager to see what they would sell it for, and he would call me when he found out.
    Has anyone heard that DeWalt is discontinuing this router or all routers? I believe that some time ago, I read a posting on the forum by someone who said that DeWalt was getting out of the router business. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Another question: This 3 base DeWalt set has no case, etc., just the motor and the 3 bases. Is there anything that I’d be missing if I bought this? In other words, are there any other accessories that are supposed to come with the full kit that I’d be missing? Would I have to have special wrenches to tighten the bits, etc.?
    And if DeWalt is really discontinuing this router, has anyone else seen it on clearance at either Home Depot or Lowe’s? If it’s really being discontinued, I would think that it would be on clearance everywhere.
    Louis

DeWalt may very well be losing the router side, or just realigning the product mix since they are now part of the same company as Porter Cable. Time will tell. Could just be HD discontinuing the item. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I heard a while back that they were getting rid of the Dewalt routers because of redundancy with Porter Cable. The 618 is a nice router.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Hello,
    I was just in Home Depot, and I noticed a DeWalt DW618PK, 3 base (including “D” base) router set on the clearance table. The tool manager told me that the DeWalt guy told him that DeWalt was discontinuing the router. Even though the router was on the clearance table, it was still marked at its regular price of $279. I had to convince the manager that $279 was NOT a clearance price, but the regular price, and after he looked up the SKU number, he realized that I was right. He said that he’d have to check with the store manager to see what they would sell it for, and he would call me when he found out.
    Has anyone heard that DeWalt is discontinuing this router or all routers? I believe that some time ago, I read a posting on the forum by someone who said that DeWalt was getting out of the router business. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Another question: This 3 base DeWalt set has no case, etc., just the motor and the 3 bases. Is there anything that I’d be missing if I bought this? In other words, are there any other accessories that are supposed to come with the full kit that I’d be missing? Would I have to have special wrenches to tighten the bits, etc.?
    And if DeWalt is really discontinuing this router, has anyone else seen it on clearance at either Home Depot or Lowe’s? If it’s really being discontinued, I would think that it would be on clearance everywhere.
    Louis
    I just bought this kit last week at the $279 price. To answer your question, the kit I got came with the case, three bases, motor, 1/2" & 1/4" collets, the vacuum adapter, the sub-base alignment tool, a wrench, an extra lexan sub-base, the quick release cord and an edge guide.

The Home Depot stores in central Ohio closed out this model several months ago. One manager told me he thought Home Depot did this to reduce in-store competition with the new (at the time) Ridgid R2830 router kit. To give you an idea of what they might be wiling to sell you the partial DeWalt kit for, I bought the exact combo (missing case, wrenches, collets, edge guide, etc.) at Home Depot for $100.

Trying to buy off the clearance table at Lowes and HD is a frustrating experience here. There was a similar kit here, but it looked like it was returned and I have to think it was about $80 off, but one of the bases was missing and no case.

Another time i went there looking for a sander (specifically the VS PC 4x24 belt sander), and they didn't have any in stock. Went over to the clearance table and there was one there - slightly used - missing the dust bag and dust pipe and the tools and case. It was still $229. I asked the guy if they'd go lower, he said no. Came home and ordered it from either amazon or coastal tool - coastal tool, I think - for $229 brand new and complete.

I just don't get tools at either place any longer - too many compromises, and their prices on brand new hand held power tools are even worse than the sears up the road, which blows me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    DeWalt may very well be losing the router side, or just realigning the product mix since they are now part of the same company as Porter Cable. Time will tell. Could just be HD discontinuing the item. Jim.
    I suspect this is more of a Home Depot decision, rather than a Black and Decker decision. And Dewalt was under the B&D flag long, long, long before they bought PC, Delta, etc. a couple years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I suspect this is more of a Home Depot decision, rather than a Black and Decker decision. And Dewalt was under the B&D flag long, long, long before they bought PC, Delta, etc. a couple years ago.
    That's very true, but they didn't start changing the line up around, or at least there wasn't the talk of doing that, until B&D purchased PC/Delta. Before there were 2 distinct lines: DeWalt-good, B&D-cheap. The PC routers compete with he DeWalt line, so I'm thinking B&D is trying to not compete with themselves. And that is contrary to how most big companies do it! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I only go to Home Depot if I can't find something anywhere else. The store we have here has never been busy from day one when they opened the doors a couple years ago. They opened the store early before it was fully stocked and aparently upset alot of customers and don't seem to be doin much to get them back. Alot of people in this town wonder how they stay in bussiness.

I was looking for the opposite action from B & D

The 89X series' has had its 'issues' (motor recall, crappy plunge base) and the trend that in mergers when product lines parallel the acquired company's product line seems more at risk. I expected to see the 890 series go away and the 690 line remain static and in production only as long as it was profitable. I guess that's why I don't make the big bucks. It does seem likely that Home Depot doesn't want too much competition for the in-house brand.

Curt

I spoke to a dewalt/PC rep at a WW show a year ago.

He said that his "guess" (Not what he was told) was that Dewalt would continue to be a brand for the job site market and that PC would be the WW'er market.

He felt that some of the overlap in the tools would go away. Using that train of thought I guess that there are fewer routers used at job sites than in WW shops? Not sure if that is the case......

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr View Post
    He felt that some of the overlap in the tools would go away. Using that train of thought I guess that there are fewer routers used at job sites than in WW shops? Not sure if that is the case......
    Depends upon the kind of job-site. You'll be hard pressed to find a router in a typical development under construction, but when you get into the semi-custom and in particular custom market, you'll find all kinds of interesting tools. My contractor's trim pro has been using a router on-site to put a drip edge on the underside of the Aztec board that is capping the retaining wall around our addition, for example. (talk about making "snow"...that PVC stuff really puts out fluffy "dust"!) Of course, he's not using a Dewalt or PC router...it's some "old thing" I've not yet identified it's so banged up!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

lowes, home depot sears etc.

I always see deals around here and other websites that are supposed to be at Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. I have yet to go to any of these stores and find these deals. Basically looking in New York, Long island area. Somebody mentioned a 'clearance table'. I've rarely seen anything on clearance at Sears or HD, and never at Lowes. Never see tools at any of them. Do I just live in the wrong place, or not know where to look or...? I'm looking for the dw618 3 base deal now, and the best I can do is HD at $279, with a 10% off 'movers coupon'.
    I've also been trying to get the PC 557 biscuit joiner for months now, and it seems to be $219, no matter where you look (saw it once for $209). Is there some kind of discounting prohibition for PC joiners?

FRUSTRATED

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by herb fellows View Post
    I always see deals around here and other websites that are supposed to be at Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. I have yet to go to any of these stores and find these deals. Basically looking in New York, Long island area. Somebody mentioned a 'clearance table'. I've rarely seen anything on clearance at Sears or HD, and never at Lowes. Never see tools at any of them. Do I just live in the wrong place, or not know where to look or...? I'm looking for the dw618 3 base deal now, and the best I can do is HD at $279, with a 10% off 'movers coupon'.
    I've also been trying to get the PC 557 biscuit joiner for months now, and it seems to be $219, no matter where you look (saw it once for $209). Is there some kind of discounting prohibition for PC joiners?

FRUSTRATED
    It does seem to be at the store manger's discretion. Let's see, Lowes deals I've gotten:

Milwaukee 6515 router kit complete - $40
    Bessy corner clamps, 4 for - $48
    Delta 17-950L - $280 tax and all

Things I've missed:

Columbia bar clamps of all sizes, pennies on the dollar - bummed
    DeWalt DW734 - $280 - already had one but still bummed.

You win some you lose some.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thing to remember in retail “clearance” is sometimes a status of an item. For example that item will not be reordered/restocked. Clearance does not always mean a “Discount”

Also what may be on a “deal” at one store may not at the other. If I am a manager of the tool department and I am given an allowance of $XXX.XX to get rid of slow moving items. Manager at store “A” may use that money to get rid of a famous name brand fence for a table saw. The manager at store “B” may sell that same fence well so he will use the money to get rid of a dust collector that does not do well in his area. That is why you see different prices in the same chain.