Thread: Bandsaw table tilt of 5 degrees left: does it limit your work?

Bandsaw table tilt of 5 degrees left: does it limit your work?

I saw David Marks make some dovetails on his bandsaw, and to do so tilted the table right and left 10 degrees (or maybe 8). In any case, I notice that the grizzly bandsaws only tilt 5 degrees left instead of 10. I have never made dovetails on the bandsaw, so I'm not sure if this is even a technique that I'd use instead of router, etc... but I'm wondering if this 5 degree tilt is a limiting factor to anyone out there? Thanks

If it's not a huge deal, you can cut whatever cut you were going to make with a backsaw or a japanese saw, as long as you can line it up correctly.

When I do finally get a band saw, that won't be a primary concern.

At any rate, though - if it's something that would really bother you, then I wouldn't get the saw. There's too much available out there to compromise on what you want.

Dave, several years ago I came across an article that recommended using the BS for dt's. Their system involved making a sled which incorporated the appropriate angles. The BS table was adjusted perpendicular to the blade and the sled did the rest. I tried this with some success but found it worked best for roughing out the waste and then clean up and tune dt's with a sharp chisel for a good fit.

I expect to try doing this within the next week or so. Unless I'm totally retarded (a distinct possibility) I thought I could just flip the piece over and do the opposing sides with the same table setting???
    Use the fence Luke

I can't honestly remember the last time I tilted my bandsaw table...and it probably was my previous saw. That said, for those times when the back tilt isn't enough, one can always build a sled to accommodate the angle needs of the cut if it cannot be run safely with the table tilted the other direction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...