Thread: Grizzly 12" Jointers

Grizzly 12" Jointers

Any thoughts on these two jointers by Grizzly: G0609 and G9860. There is almost a factor of two between their prices ($1595 and $3150). What does 2X buy?

I don't know, but I'm interested in finding out, too.

I only have a 6 inch jointer, and my ww buddy who has better tools than I do has a DJ-20 - which still does not do much for you when you want to face joint wide boards. If either of us upgrades, it'll be to at least that size.

I would like to have either of them, but I'd have to see the 'spensive one work if I couldn't write it off.

I wonder if one is chinese and one taiwanese?

If nobody knows, hopefully Shiraz will read the post at some point while he's at work.

good question, I have wondered the same.... I am interested in the lower price model when I upgrade.

Howie

I saw the Shop Fox 12" in person and WOW it is a nice machine. I own the DJ30 and will not likely upgrade but check out the SF W1744 if you have a local dealer - might save you some shipping and the price was pretty close to the G0604.

Not sure why the extra grand for the ultimate Griz would be worth it in my shop.

The higher priced unit is made in taiwan, the lower priced unit is made in china according to the product manuals.

I had the 8" 0593 on (back)order and decided to upgrade to the 0609X. It is on backorder until Dec. I got the chance to see both machines at the showroom and initially thought the 8" would be OK. I then had to face plane a bunch of purple heart on my old machine and decided the larger size with the spiral cutterhead would be a more logical choice for the long term. Definitely overkill but I have a lot of rough stock to mill and the spiral will be helpful controlling tearout. Sounds like the 9860 is a bit more robust for commercial use.

7. I've been looking into these two for months now as well.

One huge factor is how to reset the knives. The manual for the G0609 shows a knife setting jig that looks to rest on the cutterhead itself, with no instructions. It also tells you to set the knives at top dead center for setting the outfeed height---not a problem--but locking the cutterhead at top dead center for setting knives is impossible on this machine, as far as I can see. Later in the manual it shows the accessory knife setting jig that registers off the outfeed table--so you would need to be able to lock the cutter head at TDC to use this jig.

The G9860 has detents and a brake rod for locking the cutterhead at TDC for each knife. Very nice feature. As far as other differences? I think this one must be built to higher specs in a better factory. I'd also love to know what the extra $$$ buys.

I currently use a Jet 6" cabinet base jointer with no provision for locking the cutterhead at TDC. I use a seemingly accurate, but extremely tedious method for resetting the knives, which takes the better part of 30-45 minutes. I won't buy another jointer that requires that.

The dilemma here involves the spiral head. You can still buy the G0609 with spiral cutterhead for over $1k less than the the G9860, and be rid of knife setting chores forever. NOW what does the G9860 get you?

I have the G9860ZX. It's the ultimate with spiral cutterhead. Mine lists for over 4000.00. I paid around 3200 at the AWFS show due to show discount. The machining on the tables rivals the old PM66 tablesaw...actually everything about it is quality.One of the best tools I've bought.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mullin View Post
    Any thoughts on these two jointers by Grizzly: G0609 and G9860. There is almost a factor of two between their prices ($1595 and $3150). What does 2X buy?
    I bought the G0609 and am happy with it. It was a price decision. The tables are flat and the fence square. Need to take a small bite of wood and the dust collection design is not great but all in all the machine does what it is supposed to do. I will upgrade with a spiral cutter head sometime in the future.

Jointer

I also have the G9860ZX. This machine replace and Old PM 8" I have been thoroughly pleased with this machine