Thread: PM2800 Drill Press -- Semi Gloat and Question

PM2800 Drill Press -- Semi Gloat and Question

I've been looking at the PM2800 since it came out. The local Woodcraft had a 10% off sale giving the best price I've seen on this model. In addition, the manufacturer kicked in a $50 gift certificate. So, I am now the proud owner of some mustard.

First I had to dispose of the old drill press and the move on to assembly of the new one. This wasn't bad at all. An hour after opening the box, it was up and running. I did, however, spend some time with some 600 grit sandpaper smoothing the table.

I have seen some negatives on vibration with the 2800, but I did not experience any significant vibration. The drill ran straight and true with no noticeable runout. I did notice that the reeves drive that makes this a variable speed model, was somewhat noisier than the old drill press.

The twin laser beams are dead on to where the drill will land, so this is a worthwhile feature. The addition of an integral lighting system is also welcome.

Now for the question. I had a table for the old drill press, but this won't work on the new one because the table on the 2800 does not have holes. This means that the design must change.

For all you PM2800 owners... Have you felt the need to add an axillary table? If so, what did you do?
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

I'm not a PM 2800 owner and don't even know what the metal table on one looks like, but one option is to design and build your wooden tabletop, drill and counterbore holes in it for attachment to the drill press table, set it in place and mark the metal table for drilling. It's not difficult to drill through cast iron with regular high speed drill bits.
    Another option would be to build the tabletop so that it includes a provision to "clamp" it to the metal table with cleats.
    I'm assuming you'd build your table, but if not all of the big woodworking outfits (Rockler, Woodcraft, Woodhaven, etc.) sell drill press tables, and one of them might have a design adapted to the PM 2800. Powermaster might sell one specifically designed for it.